Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
budworm caterpillar problem on petunias

Posted by ASONGBIRD MAz6 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 05 at 22:27

Pretty sure I've identified mysterious tiny little black balls on my petunias, which are being chewed unmercifully -- and this has happened "all of a sudden." Budworm caterpillars seem to be the culprits.

Everyone else seems to be using insecticide. But I don't use chemicals in the garden. Any natural predators for these little buggies? Do they bother other plants besides petunias?

Thanks

ASONGBIRD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: budworm caterpillar problem on petunias

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 29, 05 at 0:11

Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) is entirely safe to use and is considered an organic treatment. Safe to use even on veggies you'll harvest the same day.

Bt is effective when caterpillars are less than half-grown -- and that's typically the case when those guys chew through your flower buds.

Realize that Bt is an ingredient rather than a brand name. It's available at all large independent garden centers. The easiest way to find it is to ask for a "safe caterpillar killer" or an "orgaic caterpillar killer."

If you don't want to do that, it's search-and-destroy mission. But lots of luck, this because they assume the color of the flower or leaf they ate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here