Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pufftrinket

Grasshoppers and toads

pufftrinket
18 years ago

Hi-

Are toads the best way to manage grasshoppers? Is there some other better way?

If toads are best, can you suggest the best ways to attract them? I made a couple toad houses, but they don't seem to be very interesting- no toads yet.

Comments (2)

• countymounty
    18 years ago

PT

Can't say for sure about how good toads are at controlling grasshoppers. I know from experience that they do a number on slugs. As far as attracting them, I have never had a single toad move into a toad house. I have used store-bought versions that were specifically built as toad houses as well as home-made versions that were nothing more than remnants of broken ceramic pots etc. For whatever reason they do not use them. I think it is because it gets to hot down here and anything on the surface gets to dry for them. I usually find toads hiding out in various types of holes in the ground - either man-made or toad-made. I have found a toad family (or maybe they were just friends) living in the bottom of the 6" fiberglass cable TV cylinder located in the back corner of our yard. They also like to "tunnel" in at the base of my raised beds and will come out after it rains and the gumbo has softened up a little.

I would suggest that you dig a little trench that is about 4' long and that starts at surface at one end and gets deeper as it goes to the other end. A maximum depth of 2' should be fine. Then place something in it that will act as a support for dirt and that will still leave about 2" to 3" of headroom. Then back-fill and place your toad house at the shallow end of the trench. Any toads that go into the toad house could then go down into the "cave" that you just created. If you don't have a toad house you could simply place a stepping stone or something similar part way over the opening at the shallow end. From what I have seen down here that would make a Class 1 Grade A toad condo. I suggest that you check periodically to make sure that some type of unwanted critters such as mice or rats have not moved in instead of the toads. Good luck.

Matt

• fairy_toadmother
    18 years ago

i haven't tried this toadhole plan and hibernaculum yet, but i plan to. link below.

also, do you grow perennial native grasses? i have heard that leaving some tall grass should help. also, do not use cedar or pine mulches, just hardwood mulch. i received this tip from the reptile and amph. forum.

try to stay away from using chemical fertilizers, herbicides, and pesticides.

i have yet to attract toads to my yard, but i am improving the area ever year. what i can't control are my neighbors yards (and dh's habits), so it may not work for me.

toads do not live in the water,but they "appreciate" moisture. during and after rains are the times you will see them the most.

consider having a pond feature where they will breed once they establish.

Here is a link that might be useful: sscroll down