Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julianna_il

Groundhogs: shock em or spray em?

julianna_il
13 years ago

I'm at the point where I either have to completely give up gardening, which I don't want to do, or find something that works on these groundhogs. They've destroyed everything, flowers, vegetables.

I've tried all of the ideas, spend hundreds on repellents that don't work, urine (mine and cats'), and a relative continues to trap them and take them to the country. (He's not going to stop, because the groundhogs are digging under my porch and their porch) I'm not a fan of relocation, but it's out of my hands.

And it's not working anyway...as soon as one is trapped and sent away, another one digs out the hole we filled with gravel (and blocked with cement blocks...I don't know how) and moves back in.

In the meantime, all that's left is for me to figure out some kind of barrier to keep them out of the garden. (Oh, flashy tape and pinwheels don't work either)

The water sprayers and battery-operated electric fence things are about the same price.

Does anyone have experience with either of these devices, used against groundhogs? I've spent several years getting my organic garden into shape so that I can live with all of my bugs in harmony. And now these guys have moved in.

Maybe god just doesn't want me to garden for some reason. :(

Comments (2)