Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bug ID good or bad

Posted by AzDesertRat AZ 8b Sunset 12 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 5, 04 at 23:57

While inspecting some plants today, I noticed a slender dark/black bug with an orange colored head. There were 2 of them. One was about 1/2" long, the other a little smaller. I went inside to grab my camera, and when I went outside, the bugs were gone.

I just want to know what they are and whether they are good guys or bad guys. I looked for them on the internet and couldn't find them anywhere.

Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bug ID good or bad

Sounds like fireflies,they're good guys.

o

Thanks Starla, I am pretty sure they are not fireflies. Unfortunately, they don't seem to like our deserts down here. I remember them well when I lived in Michigan and Tennessee, though.

I want to add that they do fly, in a similar manner to lacewigs. Could it be a baby lacewig?

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 10, 04 at 22:55

Nope. Baby lacewings don't fly.

o

• Posted by Byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 15, 04 at 16:59

Try Potato beetle/bug

Byron

o

I think I have found it. I am almost 100% positive that it is a soldier beetle, which is one of the "good guys". Thanks for all of your responses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soldier Beetle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here