Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
needanswers1

Mothballs or urine? What is best way to get rid of skunk?

NeedAnswers1
19 years ago

A few weeks ago, I posted a message about suspecting we have skunks in our yard...and possibly one or more nesting under a little deck area. I wouldn't mind, except for the fact that once every couple of weeks, our house gets invaded by their odor.

It happened again last night. I woke up in the middle of the night to smell skunk -- so strong! It's 7 a.m. and I still smell it. Time to do something about it.

I'd like to know a humane way (as in, no traps) to get them to move. A couple people mentioned throwing mothballs or human urine under the deck area. Anyone have any other solutions...or any thoughts on which would be most effective of the two suggestions I have so far?

Thanks!

Comments (87)

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

Cite the studies you are basing your assumptions on that there have not been cases of cancer due to exposure to moth balls. Since there are none, and the National Institute of Health and the Center for Disease Control both list Naphtholene as a known carcinogen, and the Evironmental Protection Agency requires the labels on moth balls to state that Naptholene is a Known Carcinogen and requires that they be used only in certain circunstances should be a clue to even the most ignorant person that due care in the use of moth balls is necessary.

• mostlysunny7
    11 years ago

A couple of hears ago I rented an apartment where an old lady had put mothballs behind the stove and throughout the house in places where they could not be easily seen or gotten to. In the process of cleaning the house after moving in, I got terribly sick and after a time realized it was because of the mothballs. After I was moved to another apartment, all was well. Mothballs are extremely toxic and I will not ever advise their use...PERIOD. They are dangerous substances. Don't mess with them.

• Heatwave
    11 years ago

I plan to use mothballs under a shed where I think I have a family of skunks living. Its outdoors and away from people. I'm going to use a rubber sling and rubber gloves to send them far under the shed.

I figure either the skunks won't be able to stand the smell OR based on the crazy posts on this thread, at least they might die from cancer!! Either way I'll have the .22 on standby.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Heatwave -
    If you plan to use that shed within the next couple of years, rethink the mothballs. The owner of our vacation house in NM read somewhere that mothballs would get rid of mice in sheds ... three years after her solution was applied, it still reeks of them. I had to prop the door open most of the summer to air it out enough to clean it out.

You need to screen the base of the shed, except in one area, after breeding season and baby-raising season is over. Install a foot or so of wire mesh flat on the ground so they can't dig under AND some blocking the entire base of the shed. Skunks aren't terribly bright: they won't back up a foot and dig under the mesh, they try digging right at the base of a building.

Then in late afternoon scatter flour over that area ... that evening, look for skunk tracks leaving. Immediately finish closing off the base of the shed. The skunks will move on - perhaps to under a neighbor's shed - and more importantly, none can move back in.

• Heatwave
    11 years ago

Lazygardens,

Sorry but that's far to much work and won't get rid of the current varmints. I'll try some mothballs first. I really don't care about the smell of naptha inside the shed since its the smell of skunk throughout my yard that is far worse. I also don't want my dog or the neighbors kids tangling with a skunk. I'll try the mothballs but if a few don't drive the skunks off, then the Hav-a-hart trap will be set-up where I can easily dispatch them with a .22 or highpowered pellet gun without having to get too close.

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

"Naphthalene is used in the production of phthalic anhydride; it is also used in mothballs. Acute (short-term) exposure of humans to naphthalene by inhalation, ingestion, and dermal contact is associated with hemolytic anemia, damage to the liver, and neurological damage. Cataracts have also been reported in workers acutely exposed to naphthalene by inhalation and ingestion. Chronic (long-term) exposure of workers and rodents to naphthalene has been reported to cause cataracts and damage to the retina. Hemolytic anemia has been reported in infants born to mothers who "sniffed" and ingested naphthalene (as mothballs) during pregnancy. Available data are inadequate to establish a causal relationship between exposure to naphthalene and cancer in humans. EPA has classified naphthalene as a Group C, possible human carcinogen."
    From the link attached.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Naphthalene

• Buzzlitejear
    10 years ago

Found this site - thought it would be interesting. Was to a degree but it seems to get WAY OFF target with ranting - we are looking for solutions, not ranting.

I have found mothballs work pretty well. They are outdoors, under my shed. Best solution has been a combination of urine, pepper/onion mix and mothballs. A few cycles and they move. I spray the areas with a garden sprayer.

Was going to try Critter Ridder by Havahart but the reviews are not very good. Nothing on Jerry Baked site either.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

No question mothballs work. However, it is illegal to use them in the way you are because mothballs are a potential cause of cancer. This is form the web site I linked above, "Naphthalene is used in the production of phthalic anhydride; it is also used in mothballs. Acute (short-term) exposure of humans to naphthalene by inhalation, ingestion, and dermal contact is associated with hemolytic anemia, damage to the liver, and neurological damage. Cataracts have also been reported in workers acutely exposed to naphthalene by inhalation and ingestion. Chronic (long-term) exposure of workers and rodents to naphthalene has been reported to cause cataracts and damage to the retina. Hemolytic anemia has been reported in infants born to mothers who "sniffed" and ingested naphthalene (as mothballs) during pregnancy. Available data are inadequate to establish a causal relationship between exposure to naphthalene and cancer in humans. EPA has classified naphthalene as a Group C, possible human carcinogen."
    Using mothballs falls outside of the Integrated Pest Management concept.

• bugman101
    10 years ago

Traps are the most effective.

• news4u
    10 years ago

Urine would be most effective and the type of urine would depend on the region you are in. I'd probably choose a known predator in the area to be most effective. You can literally buy urine from anything these days. If you can find where they are nesting, use the urine around that area, they will move out quickly. Traps work but then you have to deal with disposal of the corpse (if dead) or trying to move it (if alive). Mothballs, which are a very common method used in deterring rodents, especially in the South, are absolutely effective but are as dangerous to them as to us. Yes it is illegal to use "any" product for any other reason than the purpose of it's labeling but law enforcement isn't exactly cracking down on Mothballs, and honestly they don't care. Just don't eat them or breathe them in, and ensure it is a very well ventilated area if you resort to this method, but mind you I would not suggest this method.

• Forkfireadvanse
    10 years ago

Really Loud Noise Works Too. Here's how: Welcome to the Tornado Warning
    Capital of the US, Davie County, Advance, NC, Fork FD now uses a Tornado aka Civil Defense Sireeeeen four ALL their call outs day or night 24-7. Watcha gonna do next time the real thing blows through - Bend over + kiss your arse goodbye... Stupid Dumb As Dept. Silver lining is it keeps skunks, deer, gazelle, bear, rhino, hipo, etc... far away too. Actually scares the you know what out of 'em. Personal experience !

• licker
    9 years ago

We tried moth balls*all types of expensive urine*anti devil oils*human and predator hair*traps*blocking entrances*bright lights that brought high electric bills*pythons*roosters*hawks*Local expensive skunk removal professionals****And gueess what??? We are back to square 1*****MORE SKUNKS*****I asked them to move in the extra bed room*We got used to the smell and grandma thinks its a cat**We ran out of money** Anybody got anymore bright ideas**

• pepaflake
    9 years ago

licker,...
    i had a skunk coming into my garden and digging up some good sized holes in about a dozen different spots for a couple of nights.
    I sprinkled crushed red pepper flakes (kinda like the ones you'd use on pizza and such and they are approximetly 20,000 on the scoville scale) but the skunk was back that same night with more digging up around my garden.
    I went online and found a store here that specializes in spices. I purchased the hottest pepper flakes (not powder) they had. some kinda indian pepper flakes @40,000 scoville units.
    sprinkled them around the garden. the next morning, I seen where I got a visitor that night before and he/she dug up "one" hole about 2 inches wide and 2 inches deep and called it a night.
    it seemed to do the trick.
    crushed habanero peppers run from 200,000 to 300,000 on the scale.
    you got to take safety precautions spreading the flakes around as you don't want to come into contact with them (latex gloves?) or else,...well, you know. be careful with blowing wind too. don't wanna get that stuff in your eyes. (goggles?)
    just a suggestion,...good luck?

• jaylynn444
    9 years ago

@ kimmsr -

Thank you for your posts, they are very informative and well written! I had no idea moth balls were toxic, I always thought they were some sort of wood that smelled weird to moths. Obviously I have never used them, haha! Regarding the person that wants to argue with you because they have some huge desire to be "right" - don't bother wasting anymore of your energy on them! I commend you for being so polite w/that person. It's common sense - moth balls are considered a pesticide, and pesticides are poisonous. Here is what I read on the subject: "Mothballs are not intended to be used
    outdoors. The active ingredients can
    contaminate water and soil, harm wildlife,
    and contribute to air pollution. Vapor or dust exposure to
    1,4-dichlorobenzene at very high
    concentrations may cause irritation of the
    eyes and respiratory tract, upset stomach,
    liver and kidney damage and effects on the
    nervous system. Long-term ingestion of
    1,4-dichlorobenzene may adversely affect
    blood cells and liver function. Some animal
    studies indicate that both active ingredients
    may have carcinogenic potential with long term, high level exposure". Poison is NOT good for our bodies, period. People don't seem to be fazed by the word "pesticide" anymore, so when someone asks WHY I buy all organic fruits, veggies, & meat I say "because I don't like to eat food with poison on it". My friend cured herself from terminal ovarian cancer by going completely organic (even wine!) as well as using chemical free cleaning products (http://www.honest.com/accept_invitation/333931) and certified organic bath & beauty products who's only ingredients come from nature (http://us.nyrorganic.com/shop/jaylynn444). I saw her go from a little over 100 lbs and very sick, to the picture of health after 10 months of going organic. The doctor almost passed out when he did her blood work, he said "I've never seen anyone come back from the stage you were in".
    I have no allergies, hardly EVER get sick (when I do, I fight it off quickly), I'm told I look 15 years younger, my hair & nails grow freakishly fast, my skin looks hydrated & glowy, and if I gain a few lbs I can lose it as quickly as I did in my 20's. My doctor tells me every year "keep doing what you're doing because your blood work is perfect and you are in excellent health". And that's not from ingesting "poison". If there is even the slightest chance it could cause harm, why do it?

• Apratim Gholap
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I was also troubled by skunk some weeks ago.i founded a website which provided all info about skunk removal.

click here.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

Apratim, add to your website that moving live trapped wild animals by unlicensed people is illegal in many states.

http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/norelok8.pdf

kimmq is kimmsr

• maryclem2010
    8 years ago

Has any done any studies or research on what the scent of a "skunk" does to our human lungs?? Lets think of that!! Just saying!

• kimmq
    8 years ago

The odor from the skunks spray can cause temporary blindness if it hits the eyes and while it will cause most people to have some short term lung distress it does not cause any permanent damage to human lungs. Those of us with Asthma will have a much stronger reaction because that is one of the many things that can cause a serious
    Asthma attack.

kimmq is kimmsr

• baphemet
    8 years ago

Not sure what this forum is about, whether mothballs should be illegal, cause cancer or should be used in a closed container. Then I asked myself, if you have to keep them in a closed container what are you buying them for, to keep them in a place where they can't be used? Anyway, then I realized I CAME HERE TO FIND OUT HOW TO GET RID OF SKUNKS UNDER MY FLIPPING HOUSE. Then I see the thread gets hijacked by a Mr. or Mrs. KNOWITALL, who doesn't give any suggestions about the problem at hand, they just want to debate whether MOTHBALLS cause cancer................. IDIOTS. You don't care if moving animals is unlawful, or if mothballs OUTSIDE will cause you cancer while you're inside your house, You want the skunk GONE. If I have to kill it I will, it is using strongarm tactics that it uses in the wild to take over a nifty den under my house. Unless it fills out an application to move in and pay rent, the penalty will be what I deem necessary to remove the unwanted bully resident.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

baphemet, this particular thread is about using either mothballs or urine to get rid of a skunk, so a discussion about whether using mothballs in this manner is okay is appropriate. The active ingredient in mothballs is a known carcinogen and the label on the box clearly states that it is illegal to use the product in any manner not stated on the box, and mothballs are meant to be put into closed containers to be most effective and to protect you from exposure to this potential carcinogen. If you want to expose yourself to a carcinogen, and have the health insurance to pay for treatment, go ahead and use that product but do not expose anyone else to that carcinogen.

So, does urine drive away a skunk? Maybe, but I've not seen it to be very effective.

Ammonia can help, as can citrus oils or fruits. Some people claim dog urine will work, but I have not seen that to be effective either. Be sure there are no food sources available and no places the skunk can use for shelter. Lighting the area may also work.

kimmq is kimmsr

• btsshook
    8 years ago

OK...looks like this skunk forum has been going for years, with a lot of talk @ mothballs & fox urine...We currently have baby skunks living under a storage shed. In the past, I have had great luck, with spreading coyote urine granules for getting rid of feral cats. (Fox urine didn't work, I'm guessing not a big enough predator?) Has anyone else tried the coyote urine for ridding skunks?

• kimmq
    8 years ago

If the animal you are trying to get rid of recognizes the urine as being from a potential predator that animal may move on. However, these animals find predator urine everywhere and are not too terribly bothered by that as much as if they see that predator.

Then consider the amount of urine that is for sale and question where it comes from. Are there really that many of these "wild" animals kept in cages to get the amount of urine that is for sale? Or do the people that package that stuff follow the wild animals around with containers to catch the urine? Or are the packagers of these products manufacturing it in a lab somewhere and do the potential food sources know the difference?

kimmq is kimmsr

• btsshook
    8 years ago

As I said, the coyote urine worked for getting rid of the feral cats...Maybe it works in our area, because we do have coyotes? BTW - it is extremely strong in odor, and appears to be the real deal. I'm giving it a shot, since I had success with this brand in the past. ;-)

• btsshook
    8 years ago

Day 3 - after applying the "Coyote Urine Granuals" the skunks are gone!!

• PRO
    Reliable Roof Repair
    8 years ago

I tried "chicken poo" in our planter boxes. Works great as a deterrent, but when it gets wet the critters come back. A friend suggested going to a pet grooming salon and collecting dog fur to hang in the garden in pantyhose nets.

• Dave Shapinski
    8 years ago

A good old fashioned shot gun should take care of the problem... However, I live where I am not able to shoot a 12 gauge. So my "pest control" will be a .22 gauge rifle or a low power pistol haha

• kimmq
    8 years ago

That may work for some, Dave, but for those where discharging a firearm is against the law they will need to find out if that is a misdemeanor or a felony, and whether the fine or prison time is worth attempting to kill that animal.

kimmq is kimmsr

• bettye1969
    8 years ago

Through 2014 & 2015, I have had the pleasure of sleeping in an upstairs bedroom over an area where a friendly fox is fed nightly. I have watched her come in with her baby and snatch apples, bread & potatoes for her evening meal. This Spring, an unwelcomed Skunk has invaded her dining space. The Skunk fires off a round of her unpleasant fragrance and this scent waifs up to my bedroom. So Fox urine isn't a solution for discouraging a Skunk. Time to trap (Have-a-Heart) and remove the stripped invader. Peanut Butter and Apple gets just about anything out there:-))

• poopshoot333
    8 years ago

@baphemet ... hahahha yessssss

• zzackey
    8 years ago

Oh, geez! I can't imagine having a skunk in a Hav-a-hart trap! My best friend and I rigged up a trap to catch two baby skunks. We thought they were too young to spray. Guess what! They could spray. Pee- U. My mom could have killed me.

• bettye1969
    8 years ago

You must approach the trap with a very large bath towel...Toss it over the cage and off you go to another area. The skunk never sees who got him. They do take there time scampering out of the cage and you just have to stand back and wait. It works, have done this several times with other wild animals. A game warden taught me the trick.. Sorry about your new fragrance....:-}

• kimmq
    8 years ago

Just be sure your state allows you to move wild life without a permit or license. According to those that know relocating wild animals is not as humane as it may seem. The animal being moved may starve to death because it cannot find food sources in the new territory, the newly relocated animal may be killed by others that do not want to share this territory, this animal may have a disease that could spread to others in the new territory, there is just a host of reasons why live trapping and relocating is not a good idea.

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/fish-wildlife-plants/moving-wildlife.html

kimmq is kimmsr

• bettye1969
    8 years ago

After reading your comment, I contacted the North Carolina Wildlife Enforcement Division. The law is as follows.............

Raccoons, foxes, skunks, bats and coyotes are classed by the state of
    North Carolina as rabies vectors and may not be rehabilitated or
    relocated. There are no exceptions or exemptions to this restriction
    and North Carolina state law does not allow any exemption to be
    given. Animals in their natural environment should be left alone
    unless they are acting abnormally.

Thank you for the heads-up.

Retired Trapper

• ber7ton
    8 years ago

Here's what I know for a fact:

1. My house reeks of skunk and no doubt at least one is living under our house;

2. I am going to apply what I KNOW has worked on bear;

3. The application of cayanne pepper sprinkled in, on and around the ground combined with spraying bleach full strength works. Our favorite bear passes my trash and goes directly to the neighbors.

4. I.bought a large container of cayanne pepper at Big Lots for about $3.

• Marc D Pierce
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi, I live at Vaughan. Recently we had an incident of removing the skunk from our garden. Skunks will dig into the grass and often will fall into a window wells, holes where they then get trapped. If a window is open around basement, skunks could and will venture through and fall inside the house. So we contacted people who are specialized in humane skunk removal. They set a special door and secured the hole and perimeter. Once the skunk was out, it got trapped outside it’s shelter and was free.

• Nick Bridwell
    7 years ago

I played them some mood music. Once they came outside, I was doing "The Naked Man". This caused them to become simultaneously aroused and confused. At this point, I pulled out my katana, which is typically ceremonial and not used for skunk to repel skunks. I then proceeded to do my impression of Tom Cruise in Last Samurai. This scene in particular: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhT2XYQ5Yj0 . I had to take a tomato bath for the better part of two days. I used this time to reflect upon the lives I'd taken. Peace, skunkies. Peace.

• kimmq
    7 years ago

White vinegar works much better than tomato juice, and is less expensive.

kimmq is kimmsr

• Χωρίς Όνομα
    7 years ago

Why some of you liberals are so concerned about "humanely" removing a skunk. If I did not invade their property, and usually it's the other way around, then I should I be the "nice guy". And btw, their is nothing humane when dealing with a non domesticated animal. So stop bringing your ideological obsessions to the forefront. Anything that is not welcome and trespasses on my property will be summarily dispatched. It's that simple!

• Χωρίς Όνομα
    7 years ago

Dear Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI) : You have stated your case repeatedly, expressively and very convincingly. We get it: Moth balls are -potentially- a health hazard. Please stop posting more and more information about that, we may not be as educated as you, but we do understand. Thanks!

• zekewitz
    7 years ago

I'm going with robot bomb, worked like a charm on that Dallas animal.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

The warnings bear repeating. And clearly, some people don't get it!

• maryjwindham
    7 years ago

I have a grounding and a skunk living in my yard. You know what? The good ol miles Kimball catalog has this solar powered stake that emits sound they don't like and a pretty stout peppermint spray that makes them crazy. Nice and cheap too. You put em in they move on out no one gets hurt. Works for me.

• bettye1969
    7 years ago

Thank you for the info. I have simply stopped feeding the wildlife and sadly my cute mama fox left the area.

• 15karlnagra
    7 years ago

I have read many ideas on this site how to / about getting rid of skunk, fox or raccoon etc; There are many ideas posted here, some are out right very entertaining such as Mr22.

Where ever is their hiding or resting spots I suggest try spraying or sprinkling extremely hot peppers or sauce. All these animals are always sniffing. These extremely hot peppers will cause uncomfortable breathing. So most animals will stay away, plus peppers are not carcinogenic.

Please let me know if it works. I am going to try this on gophers & moles

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

I use lots of cayenne powder in my bird seed as a successful deterrent against squirrels and also on top of potting soil when I bring my many flats of bedding plants outside to finish growing. It really works to keep the squirrels, rabbits, and darned chipmunks from digging and munching.

I may go through a couple of big (14oz.) canisters a year, maybe more.

• nitestar95
    6 years ago

I know people will hate me for this. antifreeze. After a whole summer of having a skunk upset my sleep, after trying mothballs, urine, everything, I gave up trying to be nice. Set out some antifreeze. Soon after, no more skunk.

• Mike Karren
    6 years ago

I so wish the local animal control, or fish and game would come take care of the skunk I accidentally caught in my life trap (intended for cats that kill the yard birds). Anyway, I called local, state, fed. and they all said the same, "good luck." So this poor skunk is slowly starving/choking to death, because I'm cowardly and don't want to get sprayed or have the front yard stink for a month...so I have to find a way to deal with this! If the law, which I doubt, says I can't "relocate", then I'm left with killing the poor thing! This is going to haunt me in my nightmares! As for Kimmsr and her "well written" and well-researched input: state laws vary widely, it's best to call and find out if they'll help you before doing anything! If your state, like mine, won't help, here is a Youtube video that I think is the most humane I've seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9F16vTJXbk  

• kimmq
    6 years ago

"Kimmsr and her"

Check your gender biases at the door. I know many male Kim's and Kimm's, one of whom played for the Kansas City Chiefs a while back.

I am rather surprised that your animal control people did not give you more help, although I have found that on occasion you do get someone that just will not. In that instance, often, contacting your local elected government representative Township, city, county, often gets results.

• Suzanne Central Pa 6a
    6 years ago

It took over $3k for a wildlife removal service to set traps and install a wire fencing dug deeply around my deck, but the skunks are gone and the dogs and I are happy. Worth every penny.

• Carl Casale
    2 years ago

I tried mothballs and yes they work, Skunks moved to an area of my yard where I don't care if they dig stuff up.