Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leopardlady_gw

RED and/or brown carpenter ants????!!!

leopardlady
14 years ago

Hi, I discovered red carpenter ants in my garden, and last night found some brown ones in my house. At least, I think they were brown, in the dim light that's what they looked like, but maybe they were red. Don't know.

How do I get rid of them? I read some labels for carpenter ant poisons, but most state only for black carpenter ants, so I think I need something specific for the red and brown ones, but I can't seem to find anything online about how to rid red carpenter ants from my premises.

Thanks for your replies!

btw-I live in zone 5 Indiana/Michigan border.

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

Carpenter ants come in a range of colors, from black to red. It's their size and behavior that helps us identify them as carpenter ants, not their color.

I'm afraid that you'll need to find out if they are coming into your home to forage for available food and water, or if they've created nesting sites. Carpenter ants eat a wide variety of foods, many of which can be found in a home pantry. They are also known for their sweet tooth.

The ants commonly make their large nests outside in rotting trees, and make foraging visits inside a home. You'll want to locate the site of such nests and set up bait stations nearby. Then you'll need to do everything you can to exclude further visits.

If you suspect that they have set up housekeeping in the home, you'll still need to find out where so that you can determine the extent of damage. Carpenter ants don't eat wood, but they do tunnel through it and make channels in it. Sawdust is a sign of carpenter ant activity.

I urge you to do some self educating about these insects. There is ample information on the web to be found by typing the words 'carpenter ants' into google or another similar search engine.

• Kimmsr
    14 years ago

Carpenter ants in the garden are not a problem, and might be considered benefiicals since they are known to eat other insects. Carpenter ants in the house can be a real problem since they can excavate your houses wood structure. This link provides some really good information about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Carpenter Ants

• Sid23
    10 years ago

I just found many larger than average ants that are red and black (red head and thorax and black abdomen) that have a trail from the corner of my raised bed going to the woods which is 20 feet away. The trail is heavily traveled and very distinct. Not sure if I should just leave them alone or try to get rid of them. I tend not to want to disturb insects unless they are the dreaded squash bug. I am very likely to step in this pathway while I am gardening though and do not wish to be swarmed by them. If I did decide to rid my garden and yard of them, any suggestions?

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

You will never rid your garden and yard of ants. Almost as quickly as you do eliminate one nest of them another colony will move in. As long as the ants stay outside there is little you can, and should, do about them.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Large red ants down here are called velvet ants. They have a nasty bite! I use ammonia for all of my bites and stings. It works great. Sting is gone and no pussing up.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

A velvet ant is something quite different. It's not even an ant but a type of solitary wasp....the females are wingless and seek out the nests of other ground dwelling bees or wasps in which to lay their eggs. Those larvae will then parasitize the host's larvae.

Velvet ants are very large insects and are covered with a dense coat of colorful hair.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Sorry! They sure look like and ant to me. They call them velvet ants don't they?

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I just read if you over seed your grass in that area it will deter them.

• Kimmsr
    10 years ago

"I just read if you over seed your grass in that area it will deter them."
    Whereever did you read that?

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling