Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judeereel

Yellow Jackets in compost heap

judeereel
18 years ago

Hi!

Yellow jackets have taken up residence in our compost heap. I do not want to kill them, I just want them to leave. Is there an organic way to make the compost area unnattractive to them so they leave on their own?

We have them elsewhere on our property and don't really mind them, but it doesn't work in the compost heap, where my husband turns the soil every time he takes out kitchen scraps!

Not that this is a good option, but, if we just leave them alone, will winter do away with them, or will they just burrow in nice and safe and wait til spring?

Thanks,

Judee Reel

Comments (3)

• dadgardens
    18 years ago

Hi,

I don't know of any way to make them leave an area, but, the traps work well (or the local skunk - if it finds them).

The nest itself is unlikely to survive the winter, but you may get another nest in the compost pile in the future.

Leaving them alone is a good option, but if the area is one used by people/kids (on a frequent basis) then the risk of a sting (or several) escalates.

A single sting is fine (if you're not allergic - and don't mind the swelling/pain), multiple stings increase the possibility of an adverse reaction.

Dad

• rjm710
    18 years ago

This can happen when the inside of the pile dries out (it's happened to me also). I would definitely tear the pile apart after a few hard frosts, but in the meantime, you could (carefully) lay a hose on top of the pile, cover it with a tarp, and turn the hose on low pressure for a while to flood them out. It would be best to do this on a cool night, when they're in the pile and less active. Just be very careful - having a colony of angry yellow jacks is not a good thing! Alternately, you could get a shop vac, put the hose end by the entrance before sunrise, and run it for a couple of hours. Do NOT open the vac for a week or so afterwards, and close off the hose end. This should remove most of the colony.

• Vera_EWASH
    18 years ago

Yup...I know this one! I was stung in the back last year turning my pile. They didn't come back to nest this year, but that may be because the gardener snake moved in LOL!

Vera

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH