Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lme2376

Something in my closet, maybe

lme2376
17 years ago

Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts hanging in my closet, have tiny holes in them!! I have not seen any bugs in the closet. All these holes are very small and are the same shape size and form. All in the same spot!! On the front of the shirt!! Around the belly button area! I thought it was my washing machine, since I have moved recently to a newly built condo and purchased a washing machine with a stainlees steal tub. But some of the shirts have been hand washed, so I am lost on this!! Like I said Iave not seen any bugs in the closet or evidence. I have however seen little "gnats" flying around in the master bath and the hall bath.

This is really driving me crazy!! My clothes are getting ruined!! I am beginning to think there is a ghost in my house!! And he is eating my clothes!! I wish I had a pic of the holes. I will try and get one uploaded.

Comments (92)

• anitamo
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't believe it's bug related if it's not happening to everyone in the household. Why would a bug differentiate between sexes? I still think it's the little fold of material that is right above the button/snap on the top of pants. I don't know why this material never lays flat. So when the shirt rubs against this all day long, it gets a hole.

• kmwilcox79_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

OMG!!!!!!!! This has been driving me crazy!! But I just did the experiment with my granite countertop and BAM.......there were the holes!!!! It makes total sense. Please everyone, stop thinking there is a bug who only has a taste for the front of women's clothing! And if it were your washer/dryer, it would be on your husbands clothing too. It makes perfect sense as women are on average, shorter so the counter hits you in that EXACT spot! (And we usually spend more time in the kitchen, at least in MY house :) Thank you thank you thank you for solving this for me!!

• lifelearner
    12 years ago

Makes sense that it could be friction that is causing the holes to appear, but how can you explain how some people have holes in New-Unworn t shirts?

• finchelover
    12 years ago

well,I was thinking of using too much bleach but since it was said new fabric that leaves that out. Good luck.

• Judy_Carroll
    12 years ago

Interesting to see the date of this original post is 2006. Five years later and this phenomina is still occuring! I am in Australia and I too have tiny holes appearing in my cotton shirts (stetch knit only). I have spoken with friends who have the same trouble. These holes are IN THE FRONT AROUND THE BELLY BUTTON AREA.

It is impossible for this to by MOTHS as they could not target just one area. If it were any kind of insect the holes would be random and on other clothing.

It is NOT caused by SEATBELTS, BELTS, ZIPPERS, STUDS, BUTTONS, RUBBING AGAINST BENCHES OR DESKS...etc etc

I have discounted all of these reasons because the problem is across the board, all age groups, male and female.

The ONLY COMMON FACTOR is the damage occurs to T SHIRTS and SINGLETS

and ITEMS MADE IN CHINA!!!

My husband has worked in clothing manufacture for years. He says it is NOT THE FABRIC to blame otherwise, like insect damage it would be random, appearing in other areas not just the front.

So far we are at a loss to explain. Google the issue and you will find hundreds, perhaps thousands of posts on other forums about this issue.

It is not restricted to cheap products either. I have friend who had this happen to a new $90 item, worn once and hand washed.

Is there a chemical being applied to the shirts after manufacture? I would love to know the answer???

• moniqueroque_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Today's the first time I decided to look this up on the internet and I"m surprised by the many people that have the same problem. Recently I asked my daughter the same question and she has the same issues.
    I'm thinking it's from cooking? Maybe the oil or whatever it is that splatters on the shirt, weakens the material?
    I don't wear an apron and I"m going to invest in one to see if that's it. I"m not buying the bug thing because like all of you... my husbands clothes hand in the same closet with no holes. I"m not getting the carpet thing in the closet either because most of my t-shirts are folded in my dresser which is lined with cedar wood. I wash my clothes in a front loader which is the best due to the agitator not being there beating your clothes up. I hang dry my clothes so I know it's not the dryer.... I'm sticking with the cooking/splashing .....

• Lynsi13
    12 years ago

I have the same problem with tiny holes appearing in my t shirts. I have been very puzzled by what could be causing this to happen. I am not convinced it is the seat belt in my car or the counters in the kitchen. My current theory is my induction hob? Could it be causing friction/connection with any copper on my jeans button or my belly piercing? I think the induction hob only works with copper pans and I do most of the cooking which is why my husband doesn't get holes in his clothes. Can anyone dispel my theory?

• suzsboyd_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I have started to collect all of the t-shirts in my wardrobe that these holes have mysteriously appeared and the pile is getting bigger and bigger. I have now decided that I am bringing them back to the stores that I bought them from and ask for an exchange or refund.

I have assessed everything that I might be doing that would create these holes and it the end I can not figure out what the problem is on my end. If there were a definitive answer I would fix the problem - trust me!

I have decided that I am going to bring the problem back to the retail industry that is making these t-shirts. Maybe if everyone that has this problem would do the same - the retail industry would try to solve the problem!

• cgharris.law
    12 years ago

My t-shirts are suffering from the same little holes. Now a very nice cotton top has little holes, too. I don't garden and I don't have carpet - so thorns and carpet beetles are out of the question. I'm wondering if either the cotton is of poor quality, so it gives way easily with machine washing, or the cotton is being grown and woven overseas (like China) with the beetles imbedded.

The last writer's suggestion is good - bring it back to the retail industry, the manufacturer (like Fruit of the Loom) or to the Cotton Council. If I hear from them, I'll let you know.

• Karen1201
    12 years ago

So happy that I am not going mad. I have had this problem - small holes in the front of my t-shirts and tops for about 6 months. I have had a pest control company round to my house twice to spray and today will be my final spray. They have been spraying for small bugs as we thought it may be carpet beetles or moths that are nibbling away on my clothes, although we have seen no signs of anything. The clothes that seem to be targeted are soft cottons from Abercrombie and Hollister, Bannana Republic. I am heartbroken as they are all new items that seem to get eaten,. I wore a brand new top yesterday which was hanging in my wadrobe since Saturday, I washed it last night and have just put it on the line and there are holes in the front. I then picked another brand new one out of the wadrobe that has not been worn and that also has holes to the front (was only tried on). So far it has cost me �200 for the pest control company and about �500 in clothes, I am not only skint but look like a tramp - so very upset... Does anyone think maybe it is a repellent that new clothes are sprayed with that could be attracting bugs? really dont know where to go from here...

• dvalentinemusic
    12 years ago

Okay. I know this sounds crazy- but hear me out. I think it's energy flowing from the sacral chakra. It started happening only with cotton tees, and only when I was with my boyfriend. As a test- I put on a cotton tee and wore all day. No holes. Then right before bed we talked for about an hour. TWO small holes! Right under the belly button exactly where they are on all 6 other tees. I've never felt more connected with a man before- and I have felt energy flowing when I am with him- he feels it, too.
    Read this description of the second or "sacral" chakra:
    The second chakra, located in the abdomen, lower back, and sexual organs, is related to the element water, and to emotions and sexuality. It connects us to others through feeling, desire, sensation, and movement. Ideally this chakra brings us fluidity and grace, depth of feeling, sexual fulfillment, and the ability to accept change.

So I am going to toss this theory out there, because NONE of the other ones discussed answer my holes. I think it's coming from *within*. The "depth of feeling" part struck me as accurate.

Thoughts?

• kkjones316
    12 years ago

I have had these mysterious holes in my 100% cotton t-shirts, and also in the unmentionable part of some of my undergarments. I have done extensive research on the cause as my clothes are sacred.

I called in the experts from Terminix. He placed a pheromone trap in my closet. I caught 2 moths within a 15 day period., However, after speaking to an expert bug guy, he told me that clothes moths DO NOT EAT COTTON. I did also find a few holes of the same shape and 'shaved' like appearance in 2 cashmere blend sweaters. However, silverfish ONLY EAT COTTON and RAYON. SIlverfish are very common after it rains and love hanging out in showers and areas with plumbing (my closet access is through my master bathroom so there is plenty of humidity).

SO, do I have two pests lurking in my closet or are the experts wrong and clothes moths do eat cotton? If someone ever wanted to torment me, they would be messing with my clothes and I am beyond annoyed. Terminix is coming again tomorrow for another assessment. Wish me luck!

• tryinginfla9b
    12 years ago

I've noticed that my work shirts get the holes around the belly much more often. I assumed it was because of the way i carry big boxes, laundry baskets etc. Up against my stomach.

Also when i was a smoker, all my shirts had little holes from the tiny embers coming off the cigarette.

As far as un-worn clothing, I'm at a loss...

• kkjones316
    12 years ago

I have an answer to the holes in my clothes. CARPET BEETLES. They do eat COTTON, WOOL, CASHMERE and SILK. After 4 weeks of going back and forth with Terminix ( they thought it was clothes moths and placed pheromone traps in my closet which caught fruit flies).

I took matters into my own hands and began a search in my closet. Much to my surprise, I found larvae munching holes in my new Tory Burch cashmere sweater! I peeled the suckers off with an index card and threw them in a double layered ziploc bag. After more research in my closet, I found exoskeletons (that appear as a small piece of rice krispies), and white eggs that seem to look like lint fuzz balls with a few strings as they attach to the garmet.

Terminix came and sent my sample away and the verdict is carpet beetles. The beetles did not attack our carpet in our bedroom or the carpet in my closet. Terminix said that I caught it in the early stages, which is good. They munched on the wool and cashmere and also on my 100% cotton shirts-namely JCrew, Banana Republic, Theory, and Vince brands. The cotton shirts all had one thing in common and that was it was the thin cotton shirts, nothing chunky or heavy gauge cotton was affected.

Terminix came today and used their special vaccum in the cracks and crevices. They sprayed. I took EVERYTHING out of our closets. When I tell you I have over 1,000 items in the closet, I am not kidding. My dear dry cleaner came with his van and took EVERYTHING TO THE DRY CLEANERS (which as that is the only way (other than freezing) to kill everything. We are washing every article of clothing in our drawers, etc. as well. Such a disgusting, horrible event to have to go through, costly, annoying and time consuming.

I advise anyone who has found holes in cotton t-shirts,, wool, cashmere, or silk to have an exterminator out to your home to spray before it gets out of control! SIGH.

• emlakerat
    12 years ago

I've had this problem for a long time. It is not bugs. All our clothes are imported and made of cheap thin fabric. The little flap on the waistband of your jeans/pants (where they button) is not made to lay flat like they used to. Everytime you move, the shirt fabric rubs against this spot. Most mens pants do not have this problem although some do. My best jeans are made in America but they still wear on my knit tops. When wearing your knit tops, put your finger over the hole and you'll feel the area on your jeans where it's happening.

• leahrs
    12 years ago

I've gone through all 4 closets and ALL the shirts (15) we have purchased from Disneyland and Disney World are the ONLY ones with the tiny
    holes in them in the waist area. From t-shirts, polo shirts, dress shirts
    and ladies shirts all of them have little holes :( Perhaps I should contact
    Disney and see what's up with this issue.

• Ddaisy
    12 years ago

Just noticed another shirt with small holes around the belly button!!! I too have lost many shirts to this odd problem. After reading several posts I have registered with a potential solution???? I am wearing the shirt that I found the holes in, and in trying to reconstruct the day once again....I was shopping for, yes, replacement shirts, could it be from the hangers in the stores???? I had some draped over the cart, and some hanging from the push bar....Thoughts????

• vbsbutterfly
    12 years ago

I have had the SAME problem for almost a year now! I have a lot of shirts with 1-3 small holes in the front around the belly button area. It was driving me crazy... UNTIL... I finally figured out what my issue was! I realized that I was using the front of my shirt to open BEER BOTTLES!!! This was what was causing these tiny holes in my shirt. I had no idea hahahaha. Hope this might help some people... ya never know I guess.

• Joliza
    11 years ago

I have the same problem as most of the above posters: groups of small holes in my cotton shirts clustered around the belly button area. The common denominators are cotton and hanging on the lower bar of the closet nearest the floor. Nothing that hangs on the top bar seems to get the holes. I keep the dressier clothes on the top bar. There was one cotton tank top with matching cardigan that accidently got put on the bottom rack. It has one small hole in the tank but the cardigan is untouched. It was only on the lower rack one overnight. I moved it to the top rack in the morning... None of my husband's jeans or some shirts that hang on the bottom rack have any holes anywhere...there must be something about the belly button area of a woman and apparently some men that leaves an attractant for these pests. I am assuming it is the carpet beetles and have the closet almost empty. Dry cleaned articles will go the dry cleaner and I am in the process of laundering everything else. UGHHHH! Once the closet is empty it will be thoroughly vacuumed, sprayed with insecticide (product to be determined)(also calling exterminator for price)vacuumed again and left empty with the light on for 1 week. UGHHHHH!!!! again...I personally think the new clothes come in with the pests in place...(EW) and will all be washed before wearing in the future. What a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Undercover
    11 years ago

This has been hapning to me for a couple months now that I've noticed. It's happening to most my new shirts and not my bf's. I googled it and came up with moths leaving larva on our shirts or some kind of beetle? I'm terrified of any bug and now don't even want to wear my shirts anymore!!

• Undercover
    11 years ago

This has been hapning to me for a couple months now that I've noticed. It's happening to most my new shirts and not my bf's. I googled it and came up with moths leaving larva on our shirts or some kind of beetle? I'm terrified of any bug and now don't even want to wear my shirts anymore!!

• Joliza
    11 years ago

Today I finally got the closet completely emptied. I used a bug bomb with the chemical Permethrin which will kill most of the "beetles" that do this damage. I am almost finished re-laundering all the clothing that was hanging in the closet. It will be another 2 weeks before I rehang the cloths in my closet because my understanding is that you have to bomb the area twice to kill any eggs and larvae that survive to adulthood. Then I read that these little buggers can survive even this treatment. The best advice I read is to vacuum the closet frequently and thoroughly making sure to get all the lint and fuzz along the baseboards. I guess my closet will be very neat from now on and nothing on the floor under the clothing so I can get the vacuum under there...Good luck to everyone dealing with this nightmarish minute (tiny) hole putting in your tee shirts pest. It's not your jeans button or belly button ring. If you have these holes in numerous shirts and shirts that you just purchased and never worn yet, you have carpet beetles in your closet. They are more common than you think.

• daigre510514
    11 years ago

I have been noticing the same small holes around the belly button area of many of my knit shirts, too. My husbands shirts don't have any & he wears a lot of tee shirts too. I don't have carpet or rugs in any part of my house but I live in an old house, about 60 yrs. old. After reading all of these posts I am going to feel like I have insects on me & will start to shake my shirts out before putting them on until I figure this out. I honestly hardly ever see a bug in my house. I plan to try using those sticky bug strips. Thanks for everyone's advice.

• HayleyM
    11 years ago

OMG - I am so excited to find this post. All of this year my clothes - all tshirts have been getting holes in the area around the belly button. Sometimes I have only worn the shirt once - and next time holes appear. We have had the house pest-controlled twice. We have used home bombs. We have hot washed at 60 degrees EVERY item of clothing - then dried in the dryer. Then we put every item of clothhing in separate zip lock bags in the hopes of stopping whatever this is. I thought we may have been on top of it - but nope, one new tshirt only worn twice - now has holes despite all of the above! I am convinced that something is coming in on these clothes. I think the retailers need to explain or at least investigate. This is costing me a fortune! It is not zippers, seatbelts, granite benches or anything else mentioned. I have also tried every chemial and natural solution suggested - all to no avail. I have ruled out all of that. It is driving me crazy and whilst I was excited to find this thread, I also find it kind of alarming and think something needs to be done!

• neednewshirts
    11 years ago

i can now tell u for a fact you have carpet beetles. 100 million trillion percent. i couldnt figure out the problem for a long time until i actually saw it with my own eyes a carpet beetle hiding in my dresser. i confirmed it by googling the picture and info. its not uncommon for then to go after only one persons clothing either b/c apparently they are attracted to certain body oils and smells over others. there are different types of carpet beetles. the one likely eating ur clothes is the furniture carpet beetle.

• Dots2009
    11 years ago

So I'm not insane then (well, not over this anyway!). I too have this problem. I'm in the UK and it's been going on a few years. Most recently, a top I had a while but only took out of its packaging a week ago - about a dozen tiny holes all in exactly the same place, at the front, in the waist area. Driving me crazy as I've lost countless tops to whatever it is.
    As others have said, only my stuff is affected, not husband or son.
    I have considered bugs, but also wonder about the fabric as it's happening to all the same type of garment - thin cotton t-shirts/long-sleeve tops. I have started to examine everything in detail at the beginning and end of each day.

• shirl961
    11 years ago

Anyone else wonder about the cotton grown being GMO cotton...also my jeans seem to stick out at the very top, the non button side which pokes my shirt almost constantly...but the cotton seems to be so crappy...mine are not all cheap t-shirts, that really makes me irritated..guuess it's time to switch to a different type of shirt!! too bad...anyone have any ideas of where to get quality cotton shirts?

• hannstar
    10 years ago

My mum has this problem and thinks its her new induction hob that is causing the holes... Does anyone else have an induction hob? Hers is a new gaggenau hob.

• WillyL
    10 years ago

I found tiny holes on my blouses around the belly area also. This was happening because as I sat on my L shaped desk and pressed my stomach against the desk, the metal button on my jeans were pressing against my shirts and the desk and forming the tiny holes. It didn't all happen at once. It was over a period of time. Once I found out what was happening, the problem was resolved and no more wholes in my shirts.

• Huffhere
    10 years ago

Ok first I have to say it was nice to see that I'm not alone in this problem. Not only am I not alone but it seems to be a major issue everywhere! With that being said I also have to laugh at all the possible causes and solutions that have been posted. I will say that the bug or insect issue is possible and I'm sure has caused holy clothes in isolated occurrences, but definitely not the cause for the masses. I've read a lot of posts here and on other sites and would like to present my hypothesis. In doing so we need to eliminate all of the impossibilities. Gender or age specific, no! Zipper, jewelry, button, countertop, seatbelt.. all no! What do all cases have in common? Washer and dryer, cleaning detergents, and seemingly location of holes (for the most part) appearing and predominantly in thin clothes such as t-shirts.
    Hypothesis: First I would address the new detergents ie: HE detergents on the market and new formulas for old detergents that would use similar changes. Primarily the overuse of "concentrated" chemicals in washing that are very harsh on thin material in high areas of chemical concentration. I think this is part of the problem.Â
    As for the actual holes and location of the holes: During the draining process between cycles the clothes that are against the bottom or sides of the wash bin are sucked against the tiny holes of the wash bin and act as a mini strainer as the water is pumped out through these holes and out of the washing machine. Which would cause the weakening or tearing of lightweight material in these areas. Now consider that happening, if you take a t-shirt and press it against this hole the 2 layers of the shirt front and back are twice as thick and will hold up to this pressure, however if the bottom of the shirt is not in two layers but only one layer is against these drain holes because of the opening in the bottom of the shirt. My belief is that is when the visible damage occurs. Which would also happen in some cases around neck and sleeve openings as well.
    Possible Solution to check my hypothesis: Try washing your t-shirts in a washable mesh garment bag... Will get to the bottom of this! :) cheers!Â

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Moths.

• rac1710
    9 years ago

I too have holes in my shirts. I think it's my induction cooktop. Any thoughts?

• Solutions123
    9 years ago

This is a very specific problem - small holes in the front belly button area of (mostly) women's thin cotton shirts, including many more expensive brands including Banana Rep., Garnet Hill, Lucky Brand, Gap, etcâ¦
    I have had this problem in the last year or so and it is very perplexing. At first I thought it was the use of a fanny pack (which seemed likely) and then I saw it happening to shirts that never went near one. Then I thought maybe jeans that rub this area? Which is still possible but I have canceled out many of the bug, jewelry, laundry detergents...ideas because of the location of the holes themselves, bugs and jewelry do not gravitate towards one area over and over again. Here's what I am thinking...
    The combination of very thin cotton coming in contact with jeans/seat belts/ belts/ fanny packs/counter topsâ¦breakdown the fabric so that that area of the shirt, when washed, starts to disintegrate faster than the other areas?
    I'm finding this problem extremely frustrating and expensive!
    It's not all my shirts only the thinner cotton ad I don't hang them, I fold them in a drawer with many other cotton shirts that don't all have holes.
    Could it be the way the companies are preshrinking or pre washing the cotton? But why in that particular area of the shirt.
    I loved the explanation of the sacral chakra but it doesn't explain why my underwear,pants and skirts that fall in that area of my body don't all have small holes?
    Has anyone out there found a explanation that covers all these issues?
    The washer machine hypotheses sounds good except that it would be very unlikely for it to happen only in that area and not other areas along the bottom of the shirt as well.

• jacimarina
    9 years ago

The answer that seems clearest to me is the guy who said he bug-bombed his closet. ALL of my James Perse (very expensive) tshirts have holes in the front around the belly-button area - but many of my cheaper tshirts do not. I believe this is a bug that may be infesting wherever the factory is that makes these tshirts. I have tried the cedar closet hangars, etc., and nothing works.

• deedel00
    9 years ago

I've seen a few threads for this problem. Has anyone figured out yet that its from where your jeans or chinos button in the front and the way the top corner pops out at the top...constant friction the thinner the t-shirt the larger the hole becomes. Always in the same place, tiny holes......

• Kalint
    9 years ago

I have the same issue with the tiny holes. Yes the holes can get bigger when washed. I sometimes use oxy. That is not the real problem. The miniscule little bugs are somewhat like spiders. Flesh colored, pin head size, sticky.
    I have found them on unworn & worn ultra thin cotton tshirts and slightly heavier t shirts. No other clothing has been affected.I think there are eggs in the fabrics from factory. Shirts are made in America OR elsewhere and holes on 3dot fancy $60 t's to chicos tshirt..The fabric could be from anywhere. There could be a mother bug in house, washroom, closet, factory or stores.Possibly one bug hatches a few them near a food source. The larvae live like tiny pin pricks, eating the fabric. They find source of food, a crumb, damp area,whatever might sustain them. I think that is why most holes on front bottom area, which would catch crumbs, etc. Fixing the holes early on barely works, but if light weight shirt gets holes, they go bigger in the wash. Oxy has a part in increasing hole size in the weaker fabrics. Someone needs to talk to the manufacturers. I complained at the store where I bought several expensive shirts, they said a few others had mentioned. They said they would talk to the rep. I would like to KNOW how to KILL the little suckers !!!! I am leaving town soon for two weeks, Would like to put something in my closet that will wipe out the bugs and not harm other clothing. HELP FIND A CURE !!!!

• JanWelch
    9 years ago

Ok. I wasn't able to read all of the postings regarding this problem but I've been plagued by these holes in my tops as well. I did some research awhile back and what I discovered is that some clothing that contains cotton has been "combed" not once, not twice but up to five times . This makes the fibers extremely weak. I recently bought 3 tops and all 3 have holes. One top was only worn one evening . I find it depends on which "country" the clothing is manufactured in. A couple of years ago I returned an armful of tops to Bass and they were wonderful about it. Let me get new tops but now they too have holes. I'm returning tops to Target and JC Penney tomorrow. If everyone started returning their "holy" tops maybe something could be done to get better quality , affordable clothing!

• BonnBonn
    9 years ago

Hum.... I have about a dozen cotton / nylon tops that have holes in the cotton part only. they are sporadic in there locations.... I have no bugs in the house. Once, I had moths that ate wool that ruined some jackets and a cashmere coat but that was decades ago and there is no way this is correlated... I will wash the laundry hampers and see what happens. btw the damage is only on my clothes (female) no damage to my hubbies cotton? wth????

• lilib_1
    9 years ago

I have finally found the answer! For so long I thought it can't be insects or I'd see them and why would they just eat my clothes, and just in one spot? So I did all the things other people have done. I threw away a perfectly good pair of jeans, a belt, bought an apron. Then I googled 'holes in clothes' and after reading ALL of the posts here I thought I'd get a bright light and go hunting for carpet beetles. At first what I saw was so tiny (smaller than a pin head) if it wasn't moving I wouldn't have believed it. I then proceeded to take everything out of the closet. Now those of you thinking your house is clean and you don't have bugs well I vacuum at least once a week so I thought the same plus I couldn't see them. Once I started vacuuming and sprinkling that carpet stuff it's like I flushed them out and within 1 day I found 3 different types of tiny beetles (not in the closet though ). Since then I haven't found any new holes but I am still vacuuming at least every second day and I did ruin a dress because I washed everything in hot water then put them in the dryer. Unfortunately they are hard to get rid of but at least I know I'm not going mad! Even if you can't see them empty your closet wash everything and vacuum daily for a week, keep the light on or door open (they like the dark) and if you see a tiny beetle don't think oh how cute! squash it!

• slickyd
    9 years ago

It's carpet beetles. Going through this now. Holes only in cotton tshirts and singlets I wear to the gym. They love body odour. Even after washing. Only around the belly area where sweat pools. This is fact. It's oit seatbelts. It's not cooking. It's not bench tops. Your a moron if you think it's anything else. It is carpet beetles.

• alibantabnab
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

slickyd is correct. You all have an infestation of Carpet Beetles and maybe Silverfish. You need to identify the species first of all before you can take effective action. This might help you identify Carpet Beetles. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7436.html

This will help if you have Silverfish infestation.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish

Both will help identify the species and the best way to rid them of your homes.

• carlaboy
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have had the same issue for a long time. I tried mothballs, cedar blocks, and putting the clothing in plastic bags. I thought the plastic bag idea was working until an item I put away in a plastic bag months ago turned up with holes in it. So, my thought is that the larvae was there before I put the item it in the plastic bag. My new routine, and it seems to be working, is to iron my tops immediately after wearing them and put them in a plastic bag until I'm ready to wash them. When I wash them, I immediately dry them in the dryer and then iron them right away and store in plastic bag. If the item is not machine dryable, I dry it wrapped in a towel making sure that no part is exposed. When dry, I iron the item and store in a plastic bag. So far....no more holes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is the solution I've been looking for. My hope is that over time, if there are no clothing items out of plastic where larvae can be deposited, the problem will go away.

• Pina Martinelli
    7 years ago

Well we are now in 2016 and this problem is still unsolved my holes are on the sides of my tops my partners clothes hang in the same area his are all fine ive sprayed the area and moved some clothing to another wardrobe and still this is happening i also have little black bugs hanging around my shower mmmmm

• maakon
    7 years ago

I have found holes in most of my new tshirts in the same spot around the belly button area for the past year. At first i thought it was the car seatbelt but tge holes only appeared to certain t shirts .. then i figured it was some bug and bought some closet repellent but that has not worked . i noticed today my sister had the same problem same house different room upstairs . we dont have carpet anywhere only wooden floorboards. after reading a few posts it seems to be more provable that its caused by the button top on the pants/ jeans. ... confused

• Traci Sterner
    7 years ago

http://fiveinsix.com/2014/02/tiny-holes-at-the-bottom-of-shirts.html

Its caused by the zipper, and buttons on your jeans. The metal rubbing against the material wears it out, so when you wash it holes appear.

This particularly happens with people who sit at desks for long periods of time. The desk rubs against you placing the material of your shirt between metal and wood creating the frictions that causes the holes.

Its just the normal wear of clothing unfortunately.

• Janet Nino
    6 years ago

I have the same problem. It has nothing to do with seatbelt, your zipper or from working at a desk not even your rings. I have all my T-shirt with holes and I don't use T-shirt for work. This is a very annoying problem. I wish we can find out what this mystery is.

• kc tx
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Carpet beetles likely culprit. Notice on blends..especially elastane or lycra with cotton or rayon, you'll often see the clear elastane or lycra still there, just the natural fiber eaten away. They especially go after the very lightweight fabrics. So the "tissue weight" cottons/rayons (and blends thereof) are very munch worthy! I am still in the process of elimination. I, unfortunately, was in the habit of sorting dirty clothes on the floor...and being very slow to get around to it.

They go after virtually any natural fiber...and also leather/feathers! And anything dirty with ANY kind of organic material (food/sweat/blood/shed skin/etc) is even more tasty to them... like an all-you-can-eat 24 hr buffet serving steak and lobster!

I have a cat, so pesticides are out....SO I've been researching other methods.

BATTLE PLAN After much research, discovered that heat/cold/diatomaceous earth can be quite effective. (on the latter, I bought "food grade" in case my cat nibbles at it, or gets any dust on her fur and licks it off..)

CLOTHING and Any Linens, Pilliows and Other Fabric Items

• All clothes linens etc with natural fibers are being washed as fast as possible, and "treated" with 30 min extra in the dryer after they are dry. >>This included my down comforter! They love feathers and cotton!)
    • I hang dry most of my clothes so they don't shrink, so dryer treatment comes AFTER they are done hang drying. If the dryer will ruin the clothes, they get 48-72 hrs in the freezer. Some clothes I consider special get BOTH treatments.
    • Priority is given to softer fabrics.. (Jeans, towels and ither heavy fabrics aren't AS vulnerable)
    • All pillows ( and other decorative fabric items that can't be washed) will get just the dryer treatment...for pillows with feathers inside, I treat longer.
    • Bed linens are washed 2x a week ss if untreated, since it is assumed the beetles will find there way there. They always do. (sweat and shed skin abound!) SOME people are allergic to the larvae...the have mucroscopic hairs with some sort of "poison" that causes a reaction that looks like a bite.

Once an item has been "treated" it is "quarentined" from any UNtreated ones. (different hampers, different closets, and not worn together.) Trying to get out of season stuff done quickly so I can get it out if the way into in bins or spacebags. If a treated item comes in contact with the floor or bed or upholstery, pillows etc, or any untreated item, it is "retreated" Reading other posts, I may add a no pest strip to the closets fir long term storage of seasonal clothes.

FLOORS and woodwork.

My carpeted floors will get vaccuumed EVERYWHERE (behind and under all furniture) shampooed, then dusted with the food-gradeDiatomaceous Earth (DE). which then will vacuumed up.

I am fortunate that all upholstery I have is synthetic.

NOTE: DE will clog any filter which would burn out the motor in a vacuum, so I will likely use a wet/dry shop vac w/o the filter on, and put some water in the tank to keep the dust from recirculating.

I'm already dusting all the crevices/woodwork, closet carpeting and under the bed with DE.

This has all been exhausting, but hopefully when I'm done, it will do the trick!

• kc tx
    6 years ago

(I'll circle back with links for reference.)

• HU-361667393
    3 years ago

Ladies, it absolutely is- carpet beetles. It sounds insane but they do have a preference for a female’s shirt and they do eat seemingly only around the belly button area. Here is my theory; how many of you ladies having this issue, sometimes hold your shirt in your mouth after you use the toilet to keep it out of the way while you pull your pants up? lol Maybe they are attracted to something in saliva.

Sponsored
SparkWise Electric (aka Max Electric)
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Expert Electricians for Electric Service and Lighting