Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Possible solution for citrus leaf-miner ?

Posted by tired_of_digging z10 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 8, 06 at 15:42

This required a large selection of trees to verify or disprove my theory, and possibly lots of space to accomodate all of these. I basically have one of each of those: Calamandrin, Limequat, lemon and 'Chinese orange'. The Chinese orange and lemon are in my garden. The Limequat is in a pot with garden soil, and the Calamandrin is potted with my potting mix, containing equal parts of washed sand and peat + fertilizer.

All but the Calamandrin (Not sure of the spelling) have succumbed to the citrus leaf-miner. In spring, the infestation caused fertilized flowers to drop. The Calamandrin had yellow leaves and did not flower, but was not infected. The Chinese orange had a milder infestation, and is setting fruit in autumn along with the Calamandrin. The others did not even flower.

My observation was that the leaf-miners avoided the calamandrin. Strange enough, but another article which I have found on http://www.sare.org/sanet-mg/archives/html-home/32-html/0482.html refers to soil nutrients affecting resistance to leaf-miners. That made me think: If the soil chemistry did affect availability of nutrients, which in turn affected resistance, was my potting mix (50% sand + 50% peat) a good solution ? Is the mixing ratio an ideal one ? I had lots of success in growing cacti and succulents, and even trees (mulberry, brachychiton, tamarind) and especially cacti seem to prefer it over pure peat.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Possible solution for citrus leaf-miner ?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 13, 06 at 19:13

Perhpas the folks on the Citrus Forum would be of help.

It's at
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/citrus/

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here