Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Remedy for fruit flies?

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 04 at 16:59

Due to leaving some bad fruit around a little too long before taking it out to the compost pile, I have a thriving swarm of fruit flies happily living in my house. Several years ago I knew of a home remedy but I can't remember what it is. Some kind of liquid you put in a saucer and they are attracted to it, then they die in it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Remedy for fruit flies?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 19, 04 at 17:47

See your other post at
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg0917005522470.html?1

Here is a link that might be useful: a remedy

o

sticky strips work great! Im using them for my infestation right now~

o
holy fruit flies!

I am also using apple cider vinegar.I put a couple of ounces in a jar and make a paper funnel.They can get in but they cant get out, and then they die.My whole upstairs was major infested.I must of had thousands!Its taken about a week and now I think they are finally almost gone.I was also doing lot of canning(fruit and veggies)They also breed on anything that has moisture,including disclothes,anything in the bathroom,anything in your garbage can,ect.I have been paying extra attention as to what I am leaving out that is a good breeding ground.They also breed within 24hrs too,so you have to be ahead of the game.Let me know how things turn out!

o

I use yellow sticky cards, it what commercial growers use to trap flies. Flies are attracted to yellow.

o

I use wine. Pour about an inch in the glass and let it sit out overnight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here