Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mudhills? What makes them

Posted by squishyball San Jose, CA (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 18:17

Ok I've read some of the forums and they all say that below a mudhill you should find a tunnel. I can't!

We have small mudpiles showing up in our grass overnight. About 1 per night. 4-5" in diameter. Go out with a small shovel, it's easy enough to scoop the dirt away, and the ground below seems relatively undisturbed, aside from the pile of dirt that's somehow been dug up.

Even took a large shovel, and dug out 1' around, and do not see tunnels leading off any way in particular.

They are showing up in close proximity to each other, about 2' or so apart, in a random fashion.

What is doing this??
-mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mudhills? What makes them

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 18:19

Perhaps worms?

o

In my digging I did see some worms in the ground... but why would they make neat little piles of dirt on the surface? And 5" in diameter? I presume they are pretty well distributed around the whole yard, after all they're just worms which are common here.

o

There is a very large variety of critters that would make mud hills as you have described, but at 5 inches in diameter it is not likely to be earthworms, or spiders. Possibly a toad or some other similar insect predator.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here