Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ever tried a 'Piss Off Plant' or know where can find?

Posted by digsdahlias pacificnorthwet (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 13, 05 at 19:25

Hi, I was told to try a "Piss Off Plant" for my raccoon problem, apparently this plant is supposed to keep dogs and cats out of the garden. I'd never heard of it before. Has anyone tried it or knows where to find it?? Thanks, Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ever tried a 'Piss Off Plant' or know where can find?

Coleus canina is the Latin name for the plant you are looking for. I'll bet you'll have better luck finding it if you use the real name!

o

While the plant is commonly refered to as coleus canina and the mythology says it is from a german hybridizer, it isn't a coleus at all nor is it a hybrid, it is a Plectranthus (a genus of the mint (Lamiaceae) family).

I am not sure what schmuck claimed s/he hybridized it from coleus, but the truth is it isn't a hybrid, it is a native to Africa and India.

With commercial origins steeped in lies it probably won't surprise you that animals are indifferent to it (just as mosquitoes are indifferent to the so called 'mosquito plant'). There isn't a single reputable study showing it to have any deterent effect on cats, dogs, raccoons or anything else (other than some humans ;-). About the only place you will find claiming the plant repels cats and other animals are on sites selling it and individuals who were taken in by the hype.

o
Coleus Canina Hybrid seeds

I am looking for Coleus Canina Hybrid seeds or plants.I have a cat problem and have been told that these would help.I saw a message on the forum from a woman in Georgia that said she had plenty of seeds but can't locate her again on the forum.

o

Doug, rather than hitchhiking on a 4 year old thread, you'll get some helpful answers if you post this question in your own thread. Just a suggestion.....:-)

Personally, I'd not work too hard in locating the plants or seeds....it's nothing but a marketing ploy. It won't repel cats.

o

www.Richters.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here