Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady bug larvae or pest?

Posted by aznboi385 CA/zone 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 30, 11 at 21:55

I've come across lots of pests in my garden and I've been killing everything I see. I've been killing this weird looking bug, but now I think it may be lady bug larvae. Can someone tell me if this is a ladybug or some sort of other pest? I THINK the other dots in the pic are aphids.

I've hose them down and sprayed them with a mixture of soap, garlic, onion, pepper and crysanthemum. I'm not seeing much difference yet. The leaves are curling up and looking pretty bad right now. Some of them have this weird pattern on them. Is there anything else I can do?

Also, is there a spray that can kill grasshoppers? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady bug larvae or pest?

And also, since I've been spraying the leaves with the soap stuff, wouldn't that kill the ladybug larvae too? What am I to do...

o

The leaf that resembles a curled up wad likely has lots & lots of aphids on the back. Remove it.

The leaves with the squiggly patterns have leafminers

The larvae (black & orange ) is a ladybug youngster. The small dots are aphids.

o

The orange and black thingy there is the larva of the Lady Beetle. Whether Insecticidal Soaps will harm them is debateable with some reports indicating yes and others indicating no. That larva can help control the Aphids, but you can do little about the leaf miners once the eggs hatch and they burrow into the leaves short of squishing them.
The real question is why so many insect pests? Aphids are known to be attracted to plants growing in soils with an over abundance of Nitrogen, plants with lush green growth and there is much evidence to indicate other insects are also. What does a soil test say about nutrient balance?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here