Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ant infestation help please!

Posted by kmekaru CA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 1:26

Hello, I have a vegetable garden in Sacramento. My main problem first came with caterpillars, which I tried but could not control in natural ways. My plants started looking sickly with leaves eaten, so I purchased Ortho insecticide to control them. This worked, HOWEVER now I have a huge ant infestation problem.
I mainly grow cucumbers, melons, and beans and the ants love the cucumber and melon plants. They seem to be laying tiny eggs all over the leaves and they take a liking to the area where the fruit flowers are growing. I think they like the pollen. How do I control this without using toxic sprays? I hate spraying since I have pets too, please help. Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ant infestation help please!

Ants do not lay eggs on plants, and contrary to popular belief ants are more beneficial then not since they help clean up our environment. They are liking the area where the fruit dlowers are growing because that is where they food source is. Look closely to see what it is they are feeding on and then you can take the steps necessary to control that which will then control the ants.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 20:30

Perhaps the "eggs" are instead aphids. If so, squish them or hose them off.

o

I have a similar problem. Just took pics and video...the best i could. I first noticed the leaves falling off my vinca plants. Upon closer instpection I saw lots of ants in the good part of the plants. Some were sitting stationary on the leaves and then I saw some carrying a white egg or semi clear embryo looking thing. Then I saw a leaf with a winged ant and it appeared to lay a bunch of these and then the ant scurried away from them. The ants sitting still appear to be sucking something from the leaves and then the leaf falls off. Any ideas. Again I have pics and video. New here so not sure how to share yet. I might post this as a new thread as well.

o

Here is a pic. The little white things look like white imature ants. But I suppose they could be anything. I would like to note that I do not see these white things anywhere else on the pland where the ants are not present. I think I see them taking the white things down into a hole in this potted plant. Next I will see if I can find a way to post the video on YouTube and send you a link.

o

Here is a pic of the leaf where I saw the winged ant and assumed that was the one laying the eggs. The video makes it look like that is what happened anyway.

o

Here is a link to a video of the winged one.

http://youtu.be/685piebAhRk

Here is a link that might be useful: YouTube video of the winged one and eggs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here