Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellow Jackets in my house.

Posted by BobbyA Northeast USA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 15, 04 at 7:04

Yellow Jackets have been getting in through a spot in my home's siding and then winding up INSIDE the house. It's gotten worse in the past month (it's now 10/15/04). I suspected they were holed up in the space between the first and second floor, so I started removing ceiling lamp covers. Sure enough, under the lamp cover nearest the outside wall LOTS of little antennas starting trying to get out. Yikes! Think I found the nest area. It's in the space between the first and second floor, near to the wall where I know they're coming from the outside. Now that I've found the general area where they're heavily concentrated, I'd like to try and wipe them out myself, instead of calling a professional. Can I 'fog' them, or should I try to use Sevin dust. How can I kill all the existing ones and the larvae.And the queen. Will more hatch this time of year. Do they all die in the winter? Also, when they first get into the house they fly around vigorously and then almost immediately wind up squirming around on the carpet near the windows and start dying. anybody know why?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellow Jackets in my house.

I do not know about yellow jackets - but I had carpenter bees that must have hybernated in the attic during the winter - then had baby carpenter bees getting into the upstairs from the bathroom vents. Our solution - called the exterminators, they "bomb'd" the attic - twice
to eliminate the bees. Then had to find and seal the entry points. Hope you do not have little ones at home - else I would call the exterminator now

o
RE: Yellow Jackets in my house.

First, know that very shortly afteer the weather turns somewhat colder that nest will be gone, the workers will die and the queens will leave to find a new place to nest, so you really do not need to do anything now.
Second, once that nest is abandoned they won't return so you can plug the entry once you know they are gone.
Carbaryl is the most toxic stuff you can use to "control" anything and should not be your first choice to use on an IPM discussion board, unless your health and safety are threatened, and since these wasps have been there for a fairly long time that probably isn't the case. At this time I really would not do anything.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here