Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can't use my front door!

Posted by jill_wingett none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 10:16

Anyone know of a good way to control spiders? I have an L shaped entry way & the spider webs between the porch light & the door have gotten so bad that I don't use the front door, just go in & out through the garage. I knock them down daily & have power washed the siding & porch several times - they just come back. Is there anything I can use to keep them from building webs there?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can't use my front door!

Change the light bulb to one of the yellow ones.
Or sweep away the webs every day.
Or don't have the light on at night.

o

The spiders are there because they have been led to believe that is where the food is. Something out there is attracting the spiders food source, flying insects. Determine what is attracting the insects, eliminate that, and the spiders will move to more productive places.
I have not found that those yellow lights do much to deter insects.

o

A lot of us are having this problem...I am, too! Even without the porch light on, spiders find our entry area very attractive for their insect catching activities. The lights shining from the windows is all it takes.

The only solution for us is to sweep or hose down the area regularly. Neither of us are willing to kill the spiders when they come out in the evening to construct new webs. Ours are nocturnal, hiding during the day and working all night, like most of these spiders.

Have you tried knocking them down at night?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here