Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merrygardens

Weed and Feed barrels--safe to use?

merrygardens
18 years ago

I thought I was getting a good deal, but now I wonder. I bought barrels from a weed and feed man, thinking to use them as rain barrels. But they contained pesticides. The man said he rinsed them, but are they safe, or will there be significant residue? My husband is spooked, and just wants to get rid of them. Anyone know something about this?

Comments (9)

• Kimmsr
    18 years ago

Are these metal, plastic, wood? What did he rinse them with, just plain water won't do and saopy water won't either. What originally came in these barrels and how were they cleaned then?

• merrygardens
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They are plastic, the man said he rinsed them with water, and they had Trimec pesticide in them.

• username_5
    18 years ago

Here is a datasheet on trimec so you can read about it and make your own, informed decision.

Trimec is a herbicide formulation that contains 3 or 4 active ingredients depending on the product. Trimec has 3, Trimec Plus has 4 and the data sheet is for Trimec Plus to be on the safe side.

All of the active ingredients are considered non carcinogenic and not normally toxic (to humans) in low amounts, however the material handling sheet advises rinsing the container well and then disposing of it, not reusing it.

Assuming you are going to use the barrel to store irrigation water and not drinking water or any product intended for human or animal consumption I, personally, would use it if I had it, but I wouldn't drink/eat from it myself. This is just me, and I encourage you to read the data sheet and make up your own mind.

• merrygardens
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks very much for this info and opinion.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

And I tend to ALSO be spooked by the thought of absorbed chemicals leaching from the barrel into the stored water. I cannot imagine an appropriate use for such containers, other than sending it asap to be recycled and reused to store more chemicals.

If the label directs you to dispose of the container, then that is what should be done.

• merrygardens
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The barrels are in our second garage on the lower level of the yard, and I think we'll find a place to dispose of them. Live and learn!

Username_5, that link didn't work for me. But the barrel says 2-4D, that's enough knowledge for me!

Meanwhile, I'd REALLY like some rain barrels!

• username_5
    18 years ago

Here is a link that works, sorry.

You should be able to find similar barrels from food supply places that don't have any residual chemical concerns.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Me thinks that the guy who sold you these barrels has broken a Federal law. Or more than one. It was up to him to properly rinse and recyle those containers. NOT to sell them to innocent consumers.

I think that you could get your money back if you told the guy that you've done some research and learned that he was not in accordance with Fed. regulations when he sold you the containers. Every community has a pesticide container drop off place. And your weed and feed guy can easily recycle his containers back to his pesticide dealers.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2,4 - D Say it isn't so!!!!!

• merrygardens
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah, I think we definitely won't be using those barrels! Thanks for the advice, rhizo.