Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aphid control for peppers in container plants

Posted by victw 10 So CA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 13, 06 at 17:50

Bought a pepper plant on a lark a couple of weeks ago. But since people grow tomatoes year round here - I thought maybe the pepper plant might make it.

Problem is - I have what I think are aphids. I can't hose down - since these are watered by hand on the apartment balcony.

This pepper plant is next to my 2 rose bushes and a tomato. I can live with some aphids - but do not want them going to the roses.

I have sprayed by hand under the leaves with a hand sprayer - but it is not strong like a hose would be?

I do have some insecticidal spray. I bought "Concern" last summer - the active ingredient is "potassium salts of fatty acids." But I am trying to use less sprays.

Questions are:
1) Would planting something in another pot that would attract the aphids help? Does this work with containers? Is that a silly question?
If a "trap" plant would help - what do you suggest?

2) Is using this spray a problem - or not something to worry about?

3) Did I spend way too much money on soap? Did a google search for "potassium salts of fatty acids." They refer to it as a soap. Would it have worked just as well to use dishwasher soap?

Thanks.
Vicki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aphid control for peppers in container plants

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 13, 06 at 19:53

1. No. No. No
2. No; it's insecticidal soap -- safe for edibles.
3. No, dishwasher soap isn't as good.

And you can squish 'em. too. Very satisfying!
:>)

o
RE: Aphid control for peppers in container plants

The commercial insecticidal soaps are entirely different that dish soaps, which are detergents. The latter also contain additives that don't do anything to aid in the control of your insects and often cause serious problems for your plants!

Just read and follow the directions carefully. And keep an eye on those tomatoes and roses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here