Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leaf footed bugs!

Posted by tclynx 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 20:35

And other similar stink bugs and squash bugs.

I have a real infestation going and need to learn how to properly use trap crops and what sort of organic pesticides would be useful in the control measures. I need to do something or this situation will only get worse.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leaf footed bugs!

Ok, no answers so far so I took the small shop vac and long extension cord out to the garden and went sucking instead of spraying. This was a bit awkward as I could not support the plants since one had was holding the vac and the other the hose but I think I made a little progress. Some of the adults won't stay put to be sucked up but I think I got most of the nymphs and a fair number of the adults that were not being wary. If I get a good had vac this might be easier.

o
RE: Leaf footed bugs!

Everything I have found about Harlequin, Stink, or Big Footed bugs says to clean up all weedy areas, which will also limit the habitat that the predators of these buggers have so they will not be around. About the only spray I have found that is supposed to be effective is pyrethrin based, until you get into the stuff that will kill everything including you.
I have not seen these buggers in my garden for years, since the soil here has reached the balanced, healthy state it is in now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here