Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marleysmom44

Can't get rid of lone rat in my home! Help!

marleysmom44
9 years ago

About three weeks ago, I saw a rat running through my kitchen. I called my landlord and he found what he believed was likely the hole the rat was using to enter the house. So...thinking he was doing the right thing, he blocked the hole, assuming the rat would now be unable to get back inside. Problem is that the rat was already hiding inside and is now trapped in my house! An exterminator was called out and he has set up traps all over the house (some baited with a little peanut butter and some not baited) . They believe he is living underneath the refrigerator and slightly up in all the wiring/parts, etc. Every morning, my kids and I find rat droppings all over the kitchen and living room. He was coming in the bedrooms but we keep the doors closed and block access. My son discovered the rat trying to drink from the toilet this morning. Yuck! I am keeping all food locked away. Not one crumb is left out ever.

What I cannot understand is why none of the traps have worked. Eventually, this thing is going to starve to death or become dehydrated. and I absolutly hate that for two reasons: First of all, it seems like a really cruel way to kill an animal. And secondly, I really don't want this rat dying in my home in some uncertain location...only to be discovered via a horrible odor.

Since this rat is probably very hungry, I am tempted to get my own traps and set them up on the kitchen counter at night and bait them with some meat or something very appealing. Other than this, I don't know what else to do. This thing is either very smart or is simply getting food from some place I am not aware of and just thriving and living happily in my home.

Anyone have any advice for me? The exterminator feels his options are limited due to the fact that I have two children and a dog running around the house.

I really want this rat gone.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz