Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insect egg ID?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@aol.com) on
Sat, Nov 3, 07 at 13:18

I found these insect eggs growing in a 1.5" clear plastic pot that also contains a small clivia seedling. I'm about to water it with a mild pyrethrin solution.

The pots have spent their entire existance on my light cart, indoors. Any ideas of what these are?

Thanks,

Here is a link that might be useful: insect egg clusters

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insect egg ID?

Rather than eggs, more likely a fungus which is growing on the organic stuff in the potting mix.

o

Pyrethrin is a broad spectrum pesticide that should only be used as a last resort. You did start kind of with a good IPM program by asking for help identifying what you have, but the rest is are those causing a problem that needs to be solved and thus far there is no problem. Then if what you have is causing more of a problem than you can live with and needs control you start with the least toxic means of control and that might be hand squishing, maybe an insecticidal soap, maybe just encouraging predators to move in.
Don't just assume, as the pesticide ads portray, that every insect needs to be killed off.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 5, 07 at 14:22

Slide the rootball out of the pot and look with a handlens or powerful magnifying glass.

Quite unlikely it's an insect or its eggs. If a fungus in the potting mix, pyrethrin is wasted and *not* effective.

Even if it is eggs, you'd have to squish them to get rid of them.

o

I finally got my answer--these were soil mealybugs.

--Rr

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here