Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what plant will choke out poison oak?

Posted by GULF126 8TX (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 12, 04 at 12:56

WOULD APPRIECIATE ANY FEEDBACK,
I HAD READ ON A SITE. A WHILE BACK THAT SOMEONE PLANTED A WHITE VINE TYPE PLANT. THAT CHOKED OUT A LARGE PATCH OF POISON OAK.
I HAVE TRIED TO FIND IT.I SHOULD HAVE SAVED IT. SHOULDA,COULDA,WOULDA DIDN'T.
I THOUGHT OF PLANTING WYSTERIA THE ORIENTAL TYPE.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY FEEDBACK. NEED HELP. IT HAS TAKEN TOTAL CONTROL OF THE NORTH SIDE OF VEGTABLE GARDEN FENCE.
THANKS JOANIE

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what plant will choke out poison oak?

• Posted by Rosa 4-ish (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 19, 04 at 13:37

The problem with the method you mentioned is that anything you plant to choke it out will be as or much, and probably much more invasive than what you have already. Solving the problem is not swapping one invasive species for another.

Your best course is to apply chemical treatments and then plant something native to your area.

Below is some info. Looks like a decent resource....

Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Oak/Sumac/Ivy resources

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here