Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chickens eliminate pests

Posted by dfcash55 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 19, 10 at 14:32

Chickens eat most insects. They dig up grubs in the fall, they eat grasshoppers and many other insects. I haven't had many insect problems since I got 4 chickens for my backyard. The only one they seem to attract is flies, but keeping the pen clean minimizes them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chickens eliminate pests

Yes, chickens can be a good help in the garden providing you live in an enlightened area that allows you to keep some. If you live in the typical sundivision where the houses are all made of tickey tacky and are all in a row and must maintain a neatly mowed, "weed" free, lawn you may not be able to.

o
RE: Chickens eliminate pests

I understand the restrictions of the typical subdivision. If you live in a community that is more relaxed about having chickens, having 3-4 for a typical-sized yard can be really awesome though. In Paul Wheaton's podcast on methods for raising chickens, he talks about the pros and cons of different management systems. While some of the info is more helpful to people specifically focused on raising chickens, there is a lot of good info spread throughout that is good for anyone raising any number of chickens on any size property.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken podcast

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here