Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Will Keep Squirrels Out of My Potted Plants?

Posted by djlen3 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 17, 09 at 16:25

I have heard that garlic will keep rabbits away from gardens and plants in the yard.
Is there anything similar that one can use that squirrels hate and that will keep them from digging up my garden and most of all my Bonsai Trees!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Will Keep Squirrels Out of My Potted Plants?

Powdered hot peppers can be a deterent, beyond that I've really not seen much that will keep a determined squirrel from doing what it wants.

o

Thank you for the reply. What form can I find powdered hot peppers in? Are they sold in the super market as such or is there a product/brand name that has them as a main ingredient?

o

Cayenne pepper (the powdered spice) can be purchased in large containers at such places as Costco or Sam's. I've found it very useful in keeping squirrels and chipmunks out of containerized plants. I've never bothered with it in the garden areas.

o

Thank you rhizo -

Now for the difficult part. Will Cayenne pepper harm my plants or trees?

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 18, 09 at 22:38

Nope. It won't.

o

Thank you folks!!!

o

I use peppermint OIL. Squirrels are allergic to it, so they stay away from it. I just mix a few drops of "Essence of Peppermint Oil" with water in a sprayer, and I spray anything I don't want them around. It is very strong and can sting your eyes, so be careful. It also makes everything smell like peppermint, but I like that. The only negative is that you need to spray every couple of days. Try it. You can buy it on the internet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Integrated Pest Management Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here