my irises are really going strong

Posted by ngraham z6 KY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 14:05

More pictures! I'll remember to resize these
Ominous Stranger
Ominous Stranger

Mulberry Rose
Mulberry Rose

I have this labeled Virginia Bauer, I can't find a picture though to compare. You know me & the garden gremlins. It is actually more purple than the blue here
Virginia Bauers

Full Tide, looks a lot like Victoria Falls, I had to put the flowers side by side to tell the difference.
Full Tide

Better picture of Purple Magic. I'm not much on plain purple, but this is a nice flower
Purple Magic

Bonus Mama, another white, zzzzzz
Bonus Mama

I "think" this is Witches Sabbath. No tag. I have several black iris, but this is rufflier than others. First time it has bloomed. I also have Hello Darkness I got about the same time, but I think it is in a different part of the garden.
Witches Sabbath

Classic Look, another one of those picotees. I wonder what I was thinking to get so many look likes in blues & picotees.
Classic Look

Bubbling over, very light blue & harder than ever to capture its color. It is actually just a bit darker than the picture shows.
Bubbling Over

Goodnight Moon
Goodnight Moon

Mod Mode
Mod Mode

Bengal Tiger
Bengal Tiger

Batik
Batik

Couple of group pictures of driveway bed
Driveway bed

Driveway bed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my irises are really going strong

There's a great way to tell if 2 look-alike iris are the same. Compare the stalks - they will have the identical branching if they are the same.

Oops. Bubbling Over is something else. Witches Sabbath has a mustard beard. Sorry.

Nice iris!

o

That's quite the iris collection you have there. Lots of pretties.

o

I won't let my husband see your lawn.
He'll die of lawn envy.
I love those clump shots.

Classic Look is just a wonderfully crisp purple plicata. I thought I had reintroduced it, but it turns out I got World Premier back. I'll try again next year, because I just love it in the garden.

I also love the yellows- Goodnight Moon and Bengal Tiger are so cheerful and fun to look at.

Renee

o

Thanks for the heads up on those iris gal, that is the great thing about being able to post pictures. I like to "know" my iris.I remember now wondering about Bubbling over last year, I was definitely expecting some "bubbling" going on that isn't here. It isn't somewhere else in the yard. Oh well. I just looked it up & it definitely isn't right, is it?
I have several black ones, at least this one is ruffled so shouldn't be hard to ID. I should have looked this one up, I feel like Witches Sabbath should be in this bed. I'll go through my list & see if any match. I'm anxious for WS to bloom now, I looked it up & I love that gold beard on a black flower. I hope it is as black as this one, one site it looks just purple. Thanks for the hint about branching! That is a good one.
Classic Look is a rather special plicata, just extra crisp.
Thanks for the compliments!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here