Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with id for yellow and white iris

Posted by bigtoad (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 08 at 14:32

I am trying to put some names on my collection. Most were given to me by an elderly iris collector. Any ideas on these? Also I have a bunch of heirloom historic Indian chiefs to trade. I like bold colors. What do you have??? Thanks

Image link: Need help with id for yellow and white iris (50 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with id for yellow and white iris

Looks too modern for Pinnacle, the first yellow amoena by Jean Stevens in the late forties. There aren't many yellow amoenas, so somebody should come up with a name.

o

Glacier Gold by Jessie Wills, Nashville, TN, might be it or Winter Light, whose hybridizer I have forgotten. These were standard yellow amoenas for years afte Pinnacle hit the market.

o

That is really pretty!

Shadow

o

thanks I'll see what I can match up

o

Might be Echo De France

o

I believe it is Schreiners 'Wedding Candles'.

o

For some reason, it just doesn't look modern enough to be Echo de France or Wedding Candles. I may be wrong. The description of EDF was that it had gold falls with green highlights. I didn't see that. WC says flushed yellow at midribs and full yellow beards.

o

Here's a link to the pics at Dave's Garden.

Walter, I'm trying to remember one by Ben Hager about the same time as Wedding Candles. I agree it's not Echo de France. I'll go search out Winter Light.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/36939/

o

thanks I will check out the link and see if I can match up one of the names with my iris. This is fun!!!

o

Moon Journey by Ben Hager. That might be a possibility.

o

Your yellow and white iris looks a lot like one that I have called "Sing A Long". I received mine in 1976 with my first iris. It came from the Walla Walla Washington area. Mine does not grow very tall more a border than a TB. Enjoy your iris.
Ruth

o

Moon Journey -- of course. Couldn't remember that to save my soul.

No luck finding a photo of Winter Light. Now to look for Sing A Long. I like this color combo and used to have Tulip Festival - very unique standards (almost aril look). Phooey, died out.

o
RE:could it really be Tulip Festival ?

Moon Journey has a bit of white around the falls.

Maybe it is Tulip Festival !? What do you think Bigtoad? As I recall TF held the standards very erect with the neat tailored form as shown.

TULIP FESTIVAL
Photobucket

o

possibly tulip festival. this is a little more ruffly than the pic above. but we had perfect iris weather this year so just may be a little healthier. thanks

o

Hi
Only just seen this post sorry I am late.
Walter, WINTER LIGHT (J. Wills, R. 1966). Sdlg. 33-63. TB 35" M. W4Y.S white; F medium yellow. 31-59 (from inv. yellow amoena breeding) X Silvergilt. Wills '66.,
Jean Stevens also released two other Yellow amoena in the States, Summit, and Mystic Melody both of which I have photos and information on my blog

Here is a link that might be useful: HERITAGE IRISES

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here