Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris I.D. help please

Posted by garrickza South Africa (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 20:56

I bought a phormium from a nursery 2 years ago and this iris was growing in the bag with the flax. Its leaves are very similar (ie strap like) as well as its size. It is evergreen ,a robust,hardy plant and the flowers last about a week or two and it flowers about 6 times from Spring to late Autumn.
It produces seeds in the flower pods, which I have tried to germinate but have not been successfull yet.The flowers are amazingly beautifull. Can anyone help to identify it please. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris I.D. help please

Hey,

I'm no expert but it seems to look like a Neomarica. I just saw today for the first time a picture of a similar flower at the blog of the american iris society.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neomarica

o

Nice. A free neomarica caerulea. Your iris will make new irises is you let the flowers touch the soil. They are called 'walking irises' or 'apostle plant' sometimes. The flowers get heavy and fall to the ground, then they send out roots. Once they are established, you can cut the rooted plant off of the parent and you have a perfect copy.
Renee

o

Thanks very much for identifying the iris for me guys,much appreciated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here