Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PCI article - excel pics

Posted by iris_gal z9 CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 8, 14 at 2:07

Pacific Horticulture magazine has some great PCI pics with their article and a link to Leonine Iris Nursery in Seattle where there is the biggest collection of PCI pics I've ever seen. Small and low in resolution tho.

PCIs are Pacific Coast Iris. I understand they only flourish west of the Cascades.

Distant Nebula at Leonine Iris site

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.pacifichorticulture.org/articles/pacific-coast-iris/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PCI article - excel pics

Bumping down.

o

Thanks for posting this!! PCI's are my favorite type of iris and it is difficult to find many vendors offering much of a selection, even here in the PNW. This is the first I've heard of Leonine Iris - seems they are still pretty new - but I am already planning a visit. I like PCI's cuz they are evergreen and have relatively large, flat flowers for their size that look very orchid-like and in an amazing array of colors. And are incredibly low maintenance plants......dividing almost never required :-)

It may be helpful to explain that PCI's are all hybrids of various west coast native species - bracteata, chyrsophylla, innominata, douglasiana, tenax, and about a half dozen others - and are often referred to by iris aficionados as PCH's (not be confused with the California coastal highway!). The hybrids are a bit tricky to grow and limited in their happiest range but several of the species (tenax, douglasiana) are much more forgiving in their requirements. They just prefer a rich, well draining soil and cool, damp springs and summers. If you can grow Himalayan blue poppies, you grow these guys and a lot easier as well!!

o

Gardengal ~ I hope you post pictures!!! PCI's (never thought how PCH could confuse) do well here in the central coast of CA. You probably know Joe Ghio's intros. Putting a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://montereybayiris.org/gallery/ghiopci07.shtml

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here