Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no snow

Posted by dmparmelee Yates Co NY zone 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 23, 10 at 5:59

I am having a very mild winter. Not even 2 inches of snow at a time, and while I like the weather, don't we need more snow for the iris? We've had cold and even some rain but ...?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no snow

What kinds of irises are you growing? Tall bearded irises don't need snow, and I can't imagine Louisiana irises do either.
Renee

o

Mostly hisotirc tall bearded ones. I think my fear is the other shoe dropping. I have 22 new rhysomes given this year and am anxious about them all making it Even if all I get is one or two years of them. I know they are in Gods hands but anxious anyway.

o

Hi,

I understand your concern completely. I to have many new bearded iris and many are historics. This winter has been very mild and the snow has been melting. Luckily for me, I still have a bit of snow covering....but it is getting down. So I can't believe I am saying this, I am hoping for a good snow fall.

Without snow cover if the temps turn very cold, there could be loses. It is the freeze thaw that causes the problems and the plant cells can only take that for a bit, then the cells burst which means the plants die. Good snow cover prevents this by keeping a fairly steady temp till spring.

Lets hope to get a good snow cover or that the temps stay steady until spring arrives. We don't have the control, so it is just wait and see what happens.

Good luck,

Sierra

o

Our winters rarely have temps below low twenties, & those only for a few days at a time, & bearded iris love it here.

o

I'm in zone 5 too, and in Denver, we rarely have a snow cover. It usually snows one day and melts the next, and our temperatures can go all over the place. The tall beardeds have never had any problem with this. I haven't lost very many at all. Just Superstition which would never grow for me.

o

My friends in Flagstaff, AZ (also zone 5) never have any problems either, and snow cover is extremely variable there too. Temps down to -30 some years. Glad I don't have to live in that anymore! Brrr!!

Kevin : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here