Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Pot Up /Transplant My Iris.....

aveo5
13 years ago

I am going to need to pot up/transplant my 'Neomarica Caerulia Regina' iris, it has rooted itself through the small pot it is in, into the soil under a tree. So it needs to be dug up, taken out of that pot, and I want to put it into a BIG pot so I can move it around till I find a place that makes it very happy. How should I do this? Should I cut the leaves WAY back as I saw on a garden show for 'regular' iris', to next to nothing, and then divide it? Or leave the leaves alone and try to keep the clump as together as much as possible?

Or what method should I use to move it into a really big pot, maybe a 14in pot? Without causing it to much of a shock. I dont want to wait again another 5 years or more, to get blooms.

I managed to get 1 'pup' off the bloom spike, and potted it up, it seems to be very happy, but it is very small...so I want to and need to, move the mother, and do as little damage /shock to it, so it might bloom again this spring/summer if possible. Hints?

Comments (7)

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I would not cut off any leaves at all. I think the reason people do that is to keep transplanted irises from flopping over and digging themselves up. If you can stake it, that would probably be better.

If you can break the little pot, that might help reduce the trauma to the iris. It's not a good time to transplant things, so I'm not sure on your timing. You may want to wait until just after it blooms, then transplant it.

I'll try to find some info on dividing that type of iris. It may not like to be divided at all.

Renee

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Hi Aveo5, I posted your question on the Facebook page of SIGNA. If I get a response I will let you know. Meanwhile, here's some info for you from their website.
    Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: SIGNA Species Iris Society

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Aveo5, Eroctuse2 who used to post here a lot says "I just divide them when they look like they need it. I've had a few blooms abort, but the stems go on to produce new offsets. Each bloom lasts less than a day, so it's almost likely you'd miss them anyway!"

I hope that helps!
    Renee

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

And here's another person's experience:
    " I grow Neomarica but have not figured out the best time to divide. I would guess as growth begins in the spring are just after bloom. My pot needs dividing also, but it seemed to bloom better after being potbound."

• aveo5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all the replies. Since you are the only one with ANY answers I thought I would tel you that, if I wait till it blooms, that is like the middle of summer, when it is like over 90 degrees and humid! in the sun it is over 100+. Usually things get transplanted here in south Fla. all year round,except right now, till the end of Jan. then we know we wont get any VERY cold snaps. We got our COLD snaps VERY early this year. My 'walking Iris' get transplanted all year round. But with this one being SO big, I dont/didt know what to do with it. I am hoping I can dig up as much root as possible, and cut away the small plastic pot it is in,and free up the main 'center' of the plant, and put it into a BIG pot, for a few years...like a 14in clay or plastic pot. I would prefer to make it all one plant, since I can get plant-lets from the blooms, i really dont need to divide it,unless diving it will make it bloom more? I havent read the site you gave me to go to ,yet. If it say to divide to get better blooming, then I will...if it says to keep it together, I will. I am figuring to do this at the end of Jan. or middle of Feb. Then the heat starts!

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

The site didn't really say much about dividing, but if you want more advice and you have a Facebook account, "Like" SIGNA, the species iris group. That's where I have been getting the information.
    Renee

• aveo5
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I dont ant to divide it...just pot it up. BUT if it needs to be divide to get it to bloom more/better I will do it....have no idea how to dived this type.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm