Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
by what method is a brand new bearded iris mass produced?

Posted by mccommas z5CT (johnray67@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Jan 19, 13 at 11:50

I am curious to know what by what method is a brand new bearded iris mass produced.

Say you got one, just one, iris you grew from seed and it's fabulous. Where do you go from there? How do you get generate thousands of it so you can make a million dollars?

It would take FOR-EVER to do it the old fashioned way. Once you got at least hundreds of them they can multiply them on a farm but how do you get a lot of them in a hurry and ready for market?

Do they perhaps grow them from little bits of the rhizome in petri dishes or something? I have been wondering this for weeks. I got nothing on a Yahoo search. Just junk.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: by what method is a brand new bearded iris mass produced?

They do it the old fashioned way. That's why the new intros are expensive, and that's why no one has ever gotten rich hybridizing irises.

o

Well that sucks. Oh well, at least now I can stop wondering about it.

o

It's kind of reassuring to know this. I like that it's done the old way. If they were made by tissue culture, I could see a few "perfect" varieties dominating the market. This way it's more diverse. That's just my thought, not based on actual information :)

o

If we can clone a sheep; why not a bearded iris?

Oh well...

o

I think they can, but irises produce perfect clones of themselves so rapidly and cost so very little already that it would not be a wise move economically to set up massive greenhouses with petri dishes. The other reason it works so well the way they do it now is they have plenty of time, several years, to analyze the plant's quality, how well it does in different weather conditions, how fast it multiplies, and whether there is rebloom. There are lots of things hybridizers consider besides the beauty of the individual bloom. How many buds per plant and how well do they open? Are they all crowded together on the stalk, or spaced out well? Do they all open at once, or do they open one at a time? When does it bloom? Too early and it might get frozen, too late and it might never bloom before frost. A lot of considerations go into the evaluation of a new iris, I guess.

o

If we can clone a sheep; why not a bearded iris?

==>>> because the start-up investment .. will not be paid off by the market ...

think of it this way.. exactly how many million iris would need to be sold to pay for the TC process ...

though we are a bunch of collectors.. i doubt the mass markets to be great enough ...

first you would spend $5000 to patent the plant .. then the cost of TC... and pretty soon you need to sell 50,000 of them to BREAK EVEN... let alone profit ...

we here will take the first 20 or 30 .. but who will buy the rest ????

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here