Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to forum - question on siberian iris

Posted by BeverlyMN 4 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 19, 14 at 13:59

I have always loved irises and they grow well here. I have been reading old threads and really enjoying them.

I have fallen for two red irises:
Pomegranate Punch and Miss Apple.

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with the foliage flopping. Usually Siberians have nice foliage but some is better than others. For example, I have Butter and Sugar that is a little flopped or messy looking compared to the other purple ones that I have.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to forum - question on siberian iris

Sorry no one has an answer. I did see a photo of 'Miss Apple' and the top foliage showing looked straight & upright.

o

Thanks iris gal. I saw that photo too. I think I shall procede with caution; maybe order one and see how it goes.

o

Beverly,
I can't answer your specific question because I have no experience with the iris you have mentioned.

However, my experience with Siberian Iris leads me to believe that there is a great deal of difference between an old standby like Caesar's Brother and the newer cultivars I have planted. CB grows vigorously and provides beautiful foliage that can used in the landscape like an ornamental grass. The foliage on the newer SI just doesn't measure up. I'm hoping that as they mature the foliage might improve.

o

Harryshoe, thanks for your input. I have an old standby, Butter and Sugar with foliage that won't stand up. Perhaps I need to leave it in one spot a little longer. Any guess on how long it takes to make a nice clump?

I have another NOID, purple, that stands up strait as can be after only one year. Could be Caesar's Brother or could be not a Siberian at all.

o

A mature Caesar's Brother before I divided it into six plants:

photo DSC_0185_zps01a77c84.jpg

CB bloom:

photo DSC_0003-9.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here