Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariah_b

Does anyone know of any Brown/Rust shaded Irises?

Mariah.B
11 years ago

A couple of months ago, I was looking through some tall bearded iris pictures on the internet and one in particular really caught my eye. It was a rich chocolate brown color with an almost satin sheen to it. I have no idea what the name was, I think it might have had chocolate or coffee in the title. Does it sound familiar to anyone?

If not, does anyone have suggestions for some beautiful brown/rust toned TB irises to add to my garden this spring?

--- Mariah

Comments (22)

• mccommas
    11 years ago

I would really like a brown iris as well. You know, not orange but real brown like a brown pair of shoes. No one has managed to breed one that is brown enough for me.

• Mariah.B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are not sold very often because apparently brown shades are not that desirable and don't sell well but the rich brown one I saw was beautiful! It was a true solid chocolate brown, I should have saved the website...

• mccommas
    11 years ago

If you find it again, post it here. I will do the same.

• iris_gal
    11 years ago

This is a yummy iris in tones of russet, etc. Many pics online are inaccurate in color. This one is accurate.

Ruffled Copper Sunset

• Mariah.B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What a lovely iris! I'm such a big fan of the russet color, thanks so much for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find any sellers of it this year!

I actually came across a decently brown iris, I'm not sure if this is the one I mentioned above but it sure comes close! It seems like a true rich chocolate brown from most photos. I think I might try to purchase it...

It's called Chocolate Ecstasy

Here is a link that might be useful:

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

That's quite brown indeed. Changing Seasons and Coffee Whispers are golden brown. Huckleberry Fudge is brown. And I think there are some Aril irises that are really truly brown.

• mccommas
    11 years ago

Ruffled Copper Sunset is a very beautiful iris but that is not brown.

• Mariah.B
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Huckleberry Fudge is nice shade of brown! I think that's another one I might look into getting. :)

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

Brown Lasso and Dutch Chocolate

• sc_gardener
    10 years ago

I saw dutch chocolate at an Iris farm near us. It was beautiful and truly brown. I have "lovely senorita" from Schreiners, and it looks really good. Tan/orange/brown and nicely branched.

• mccommas
    10 years ago

The Dutch Chocolate looks red to me. Very nice, just not brown.

Brown Lasso is unusual. It has what you could say is a brown outline on the rim of the lower petals but the rest of it is blue and yellow.

• sherry Austin
    10 years ago

Blue J Iris show one called Chocolate Ecstasy. I grow Gingersnap and like it quite a bit. From Schreiner's picture I was expecting more red, but this picture is pretty accurate.

• njiris
    10 years ago

Here are a few more:
    Brasilia, Malaysia, Chocoletto,Pretty Quadroon,Melted Chocolate and Chocolate Daddy. Sorry I do not have pictures where I am at the moment. Chocolate Daddy is really a bitone, but it does have the lovliest chocolate scent!

• sc_gardener
    10 years ago

when I saw dutch chocolate, it was brown. Maybe the ph in the soil could change the coloring. I know this happens with other plants.

• aquawise
    10 years ago

Drambuie

This post was edited by aquawise on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 23:22

• brettttt
    10 years ago

That's beautiful, aquawise. Do you have any more information about it? I can't find anything using that name/spelling. Is it a dwarf?

• aquawise
    10 years ago

This is mine! I have lots of this one! I will add some info for you.

• aquawise
    10 years ago

ORIGINATOR: Anthony & Dorothy Willott

INTRODUCED: 1986

CLASS: Standard Dwarf Bearded

HEIGHT: 10.5"

BLOOM SEASON: Early to Mid

DESCRIPTION: S. light brown flushed violet at base; F. light brown washed gold, deeper hafts; dark yellow orange beard.

PARENTAGE: 74-30: (72-33: (Blueberry Muffins x ((Nylon Loveliness x Dark Fairy) x Roberts 65R9)) x Gingerbread Man) X Sixpence

AWARDS: HM'91

INTERESTING INFO: Drambuie is a Scottish liqueur that combines honey, whisky and a variety of spices including saffron, anise and nutmeg.

• illinoisdoglover
    10 years ago

Will you be offering this one for trade this year? I have a friend that collects iris from the Willotts, she actually knew them.

• illinoisdoglover
    10 years ago

Thanks for the email.......good luck.

• Mariah.B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the lovely suggestions, I think the one that I've been searching for was "chocolate ecstasy" so thank you to those who mentioned it!