Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know of any Brown/Rust shaded Irises?

Posted by Mariah.B 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 14:55

A couple of months ago, I was looking through some tall bearded iris pictures on the internet and one in particular really caught my eye. It was a rich chocolate brown color with an almost satin sheen to it. I have no idea what the name was, I think it might have had chocolate or coffee in the title. Does it sound familiar to anyone?

If not, does anyone have suggestions for some beautiful brown/rust toned TB irises to add to my garden this spring?

--- Mariah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know of any Brown/Rust shaded Irises?

I would really like a brown iris as well. You know, not orange but real brown like a brown pair of shoes. No one has managed to breed one that is brown enough for me.

o

They are not sold very often because apparently brown shades are not that desirable and don't sell well but the rich brown one I saw was beautiful! It was a true solid chocolate brown, I should have saved the website...

o

If you find it again, post it here. I will do the same.

o

This is a yummy iris in tones of russet, etc. Many pics online are inaccurate in color. This one is accurate.

Ruffled Copper Sunset
 photo RuffledCopperSunset_zpsacd0bba9.jpg

o

What a lovely iris! I'm such a big fan of the russet color, thanks so much for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find any sellers of it this year!

I actually came across a decently brown iris, I'm not sure if this is the one I mentioned above but it sure comes close! It seems like a true rich chocolate brown from most photos. I think I might try to purchase it...

It's called Chocolate Ecstasy

Here is a link that might be useful: Chocolate Ecstasy

o

That's quite brown indeed. Changing Seasons and Coffee Whispers are golden brown. Huckleberry Fudge is brown. And I think there are some Aril irises that are really truly brown.

o

Ruffled Copper Sunset is a very beautiful iris but that is not brown.

o

Huckleberry Fudge is nice shade of brown! I think that's another one I might look into getting. :)

o

Brown Lasso and Dutch Chocolate

o

I saw dutch chocolate at an Iris farm near us. It was beautiful and truly brown. I have "lovely senorita" from Schreiners, and it looks really good. Tan/orange/brown and nicely branched.

o

The Dutch Chocolate looks red to me. Very nice, just not brown.

Brown Lasso is unusual. It has what you could say is a brown outline on the rim of the lower petals but the rest of it is blue and yellow.

o

Copatonic is a good one! Here is a pic of it in my garden!
Velvet robe
Boss tweed
Harvest moon
these are some for you to look at.

o

Blue J Iris show one called Chocolate Ecstasy. I grow Gingersnap and like it quite a bit. From Schreiner's picture I was expecting more red, but this picture is pretty accurate.

o

Here are a few more:
Brasilia, Malaysia, Chocoletto,Pretty Quadroon,Melted Chocolate and Chocolate Daddy. Sorry I do not have pictures where I am at the moment. Chocolate Daddy is really a bitone, but it does have the lovliest chocolate scent!

o

when I saw dutch chocolate, it was brown. Maybe the ph in the soil could change the coloring. I know this happens with other plants.

o

Drambuie

This post was edited by aquawise on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 23:22

o

That's beautiful, aquawise. Do you have any more information about it? I can't find anything using that name/spelling. Is it a dwarf?

o

This is mine! I have lots of this one! I will add some info for you.

o

ORIGINATOR: Anthony & Dorothy Willott

INTRODUCED: 1986

CLASS: Standard Dwarf Bearded

HEIGHT: 10.5"

BLOOM SEASON: Early to Mid

DESCRIPTION: S. light brown flushed violet at base; F. light brown washed gold, deeper hafts; dark yellow orange beard.

PARENTAGE: 74-30: (72-33: (Blueberry Muffins x ((Nylon Loveliness x Dark Fairy) x Roberts 65R9)) x Gingerbread Man) X Sixpence

AWARDS: HM'91

INTERESTING INFO: Drambuie is a Scottish liqueur that combines honey, whisky and a variety of spices including saffron, anise and nutmeg.

o

Will you be offering this one for trade this year? I have a friend that collects iris from the Willotts, she actually knew them.

o

Thanks for the email.......good luck.

o

Thank you all for the lovely suggestions, I think the one that I've been searching for was "chocolate ecstasy" so thank you to those who mentioned it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here