Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowerbrackob

Kill Em Now?

flowerbrackob
14 years ago

I'm not getting the re blooms and even after a few first blooms this is what begins: cut & paste please to see.

Kodak makes it difficult for you.

Went to google and can't find what I want to show ya'll

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/photoPicker/albums.jsp

Anticipating a BIG shovel and a bon fire. Jaemy

Comments (7)

• tugbrethil
    14 years ago

Jaemy, I went to that site and page, and I can't figure out what to do to see your picture. Kodak seems to want me to pay them! Sorry, not on my budget.

Kevin ; ])

• flowerbrackob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kevin I just cut and pasted the url and it took me to the two pics of the "rot" on the leaves. It does say: buy/share.....that is for me only to use; as a member I can
    send them, share them, or order prints. Didn't the 2 pics show up for you to view?

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

I'm only seeing a blank screen that's ready to upload photos.
    If your password is in your browser you would automatically see your photos.

If your beardeds have rot the rhizome will be mushy when you push on it.
    If the leaves have turned yellow (dying) that is normal.

In zone 4 I wouldn't expect any rebloomer to accomplish a fall bloom. Even in zone 6 there are many that won't rebloom.
    I have seen online a few reblooming SDBs --- you may have better luck with those.

• flowerbrackob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all for trying...... Here's what Kodak wants me to do:
    I can send an invitation to my recipients to go & see my photos to figure this out. To do that,I have to send the invite to an email address............so that may be, in your mind, an invasion of your privacy? I always cut off any rotted rhizome. One member here suggested a dusting of Ajax, Comet, something that has bleach in it. Fall Blooms: the very first year I planted them the re-blooms appeared; now not????? If the brown spots & yellowing of the leaves is normal, they ruin the entire look of the garden's healthy blooming plants. Frustrated. Planning ahead, makes waiting for spring tolerable. Smiles, Jaemy

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Jaemy, the rebloomers performed the first year because they did not get too cold first. Reblooming irises just don't grow grow well in your zone and the plant can die. I wish I knew which non-rebloomers to recommend, but I live in California, and so I don't know what does well in your area.

If you get ugly leaves, you can pull or cut them off so that the foliage does not ruin the look of your garden. Some people cut all the foliage down to about 8" every fall.

Do you have any irises on your list to buy for next year?

Renee

• flowerbrackob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I certainly became enlightened and Thank All of You Bunches for your time and effort to help me.
    I went out to the garden to view the space...........I just keep picturing the entire summer with lengths
    of cut down plants; and that too ruining the entire place just as much as the ugly leaves..............
    I believe I'll put Cornus Arctic Fire in their place to make me happier when I look out my window
    during these long winter months in the snow.
    My decision is I'll find a place elsewhere and not put them in rows,
    just plunk them into a group and separate as needed............
    It's fun to anticipate an entire redecoration anyway. Dern cat'l and cust. serv. reps
    recommended which ones were winter hardy. Blast Em! Jaemy

• ofionnachta
    14 years ago

January is for looking at lovely pictures online. If you are in Wisconsin, do that!

When spring comes, the irises will come back up! Maybe your season is not long enough for rebloom, but even if it isn't you can enjoy the time you do have with them.

I don't put anything in rows. I plant everything "here & there" with other things between them---so I will nearly always have something blooming. eg-there are spring bulbs in among the irises--grape hyacinths, daffs, etc--and daylilies in between them too--when the irises are done, the daylilies are beginning. I also put chrysanthemums in pots in there, or at the edges--so in Oct/Nov when the perennials have really quit, I still have nice fall color. I treat the mums as annuals.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?