Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twylag_gw

am I limited to these colours?

TwylaG
13 years ago

Around here everybody seems to think we are considered "zone 3" but when I look on the zonal map when you create a post, it seems I am more 2a-1b-ish. Am I truly limited to the type of iris I can get to grow here? They are my favorites and I have tried in the past to plant non-purple ones (eg, the ones that everyone and their dog has), but I've moved a fair bit and they haven't survived the constant transplanting. Now that I am in a more stationary place (if you follow what I mean because I don't think I used the correct phrase), *is* there anything else colour-wise that I can grow here, or am I stuck with the purples, purple & whites, yellow & browns that seem to be the only things that I have ever seen?

I admit I don't treat them very well. My last transplant involved me cutting a *large* chunk off someone's clump that didn't want them anymore and I just chucked them onto the pebbles at the edge of my garage - these'd be the purple ones that no one can kill. They bloom. They thrive. Them and the cockroaches, lol, will outlive armageddon.

I bought some pink(ish) spuria seeds off the web (I know I shouldn't trust sellers' opinions but they looked so purdy) and they have rather odd sowing instructions: drop in hot water overnight then in a warm local in dirt for a few weeks and then in the fridge in dirt for a few more weeks.

I successfully grow what is called here "grass iris" and looks just like the spuria seeds I purchased (in a different colour).

SO where I am going with all of this is: Am I *truly* limited for colours?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz