Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iris lazica

Posted by bubba62 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 13, 09 at 3:54

I have a clump of Iris lazica which is planted in nearly full sun in well-drained clay/loam; it's been there, growing well, for at least 6 years, but has never produced a bloom. Ironically, I bought it as a more "dependable" alternative to I. unguicularis for our area. Unguicularis, however, does bloom for me intermittently every year. Any thoughts on what might trigger the lazica into blooming?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iris lazica

I'm not sure but I would say it's lacking something in the soil. Fertilize it with something low in Nitrogen, but I would fertilize it with something as soon as it is showing signs of recovering from the winter.

Happy Gardening, Marian

o
RE: Iris lazica

I planted my I. lazica in dappled/deciduous shade because I read that it prefers shadier conditions than I. unguicularis. It sits over the top of a culvert so the rain water all runs down that way, but the drainage is also great. Gets no extra water during drought. Mine isn't full of blooms like some pictures I've seen, but it has bloomed reliably every spring for the past 3-4 years. I think it took ~2 years to settle in before the first blooms -- the first winter was kind of rough because the deer kept yanking it out of the ground and I had to replant it several times.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here