Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Irises Advice

Posted by Nitrex Kansas (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 13 at 10:19

Help! We bought an old farmhouse a year ago and decided that it was not worth fixing up. We just finished building a new house on the property and will be tearing down the old one next week. The previous family said the Irises had been planted when the place was homesteaded over 100 years ago. We would like to transplant them before the tear town the house. The heavy equipment will destroy the iris bed if we don't do something this week. It is February and temps at night are below 32 degrees. Daytime highs range fro 30-60. The iris bed is overfull! We need to thin them out. The patch is about 6' x 20'. I hope we don't lose them...

Nitrex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Irises Advice

Well, any iris that is over 100 years old will probably survive anything. I would dig a bunch up if you can, and pot them up. You can also try to just dig a bunch up, cut off any dead foliage, and dry them off, then put them in a paper bag in the garage for a month or two until it warms up, and plant them out in spring. Good luck!

o

I once had to transplant some irises at the end of winter while it was still cold before we motor-cultivated a part of the garden to plant potatoes.
My reasoning back then was that if I take a big enough clump of soil next to the irises and just place them in a different part of the garden the irises wouldn't even notice. They bloomed just fine and grew well until a scorching hot, dry summer. They're starting to come back up now, can't wait to see them bloom again this spring.

Good luck from me as well.

o

I would dig some up and plant them elsewhere and keep them warm and dry till I can plant them.

Is it possible to cover up the iris bed with a wood board or something. It can be hard to dig them all up.

Would you consider sending some over to me for postage in return?

Pebbles

o

I transplanted a Siberian Iris yesterday and expect it to grow without interruption. Many plants respond well when transplanted in winter. The trick is to take a large root ball so not to disturb the roots. If you can do that, I don't think the plant realizes what you have been up to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here