Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Can you ID this two-toned apricot bearded iris?

gottagarden
13 years ago

It's winter and I'm sorting out my photos and trying to do some garden catch-up.

It's one of my last iris to bloom, with white standards, falls apricot with white edging.

From Plant Trades

If you have any ideas of the name I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (10)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

This is a toughie. One of my fav combos. Champagne Elegance is probably most distributed. But here are other names.

Fondation Van Gogh - Ambrosia Delight - Ambrosia Fool - Apricot Frosty - Aztec Burst - Betty Dunn - Border Guard BB - But Beautiful - Champagne Encore - Champagne Frost - Chateau d'Auvers Sur Oise cayeux03 - Cloudless Sunrise - Color Bash - Cookie Combo 01 - Coral Beauty - Coral Cheeks - Coral Peaks - Coral Srand - Design In Canteloupe BB - Douce Reverie white edges - Easter Cloud roberts95 RE - Festive Skirt - Forgiven ernst'94 rimmed light - June Sunset 80 - Just Teasing - Magharee - Milk On Apricots niswonger00 - Opal Brown meek'96 - Orange Portal kerr07 - Peach Melba (tan-apric solid fall) - Pom Pom Girl miller'98 - Royal Honey - Shurton Inn bartlett'94 - Sonja's Selah

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Champagne Elegance definitely rings a bell. I almost think I bought it for the name.

When I image searched it, I noticed many photos of CE that don't show the white edging on the falls. Any idea why some photos do and some don't show that? Mine all have it.

Loved your list. Must comment on Betty Dunn. My neighbor was Betty Dunn and when she was beautiful in her 20s with 3 young children, she was killed in a car accident by a drunk driver. Now that I know there is an iris with that name, I must find one. It seems a lovely way to remember her. Thanks for the memory flashback.

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

Could be English Charm, is it early and is the foliage more narrow than average ?

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Not Champagne Elegance- the hafts are different. I don't think it's English Charm either, the standards are too white, the rim too pronounced, and the falls too flared.
    Renee

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I really think it is Opal Brown. The photo in the competitor to this site is not typical. The shape of the iris with the domed standards, the white rim, the white whiskers, and the flush of peach in the midrib all make it look like Opal Brown.

It's really lovely. My favorite color combo, well, except for maybe red amoenas.
    Renee

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

My Champagne Elegance always had some white edging present.

However, Champagne Encore doesn't have that white edge but otherwise looks very similar.

I received an additional Champagne Elegance in a trade and was stunned when it opened. The standards were tinted blue the first 6 (?) hours before whitening (word ?). And the fall color was more intense than mine had ever been. It had come from a colder climate zone.

• User
    12 years ago

Looks like Magharee to me..... Blyth 1986.

• wieslaw59
    12 years ago

Definitely Magharee.

• karenh71867
    12 years ago

It sure is pretty!

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your time everyone!

I agree,
    It's Magharee!

Opal Brown seems to have a wider white marging on the falls.
    Champagne Elegance is too light.
    English Charm is too light, and this one is a late bloomer, with standard width leaves.

THANKS

MAGHAREE it is!

Sponsored