Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new growth

Posted by mrtoad 7b NC (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 10, 09 at 15:03

began cleaning beds this afternoon - noticed a number of new - but very small - shoot coming from the rhizome - what is the (if one exists)relationship between the new growth and blooming -

thanks

mr toad

Rhizomes

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new growth

The new shoots are coming from a baby rhizome(s) produced by the old mother rhizome. The roots from the mother rhizome support the babies until they develop their own. The mother rhizome gradually dries up and the babies grow to produce their bloom stalks.

o
RE: new growth

Also, I've noticed a tendency for a certain type of fan formation to be the most likely to bloom. It's difficult to describe so I had to sketch a picture.

Photobucket

The most common formation of fans that go on to bloom for me is a central fan with 2 or more increases behind it. The central fan will produce the stalk and the others (increases) will develop into mature fans with their own increases by next year.

Of course, as with all things in Nature, this is not set in stone. This doesn't account for a myriad of different factors, like a late freeze or drought, but in my experience, this fan formation fairly reliably tells me which varieties I can expect to bloom.

That could be nothing like what you were asking about. If it's not helpful, I hope it's at least entertaining! :)

Brock

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here