Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Beatrded Irises in Joplin, Mo?

sylviatexas1
12 years ago

A friend is going on a church trip to re-greenerize the area that was devasted by flooding.

She can get tons of bearded irises for the taking here if they'll do well in Joplin.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bearded irises is what I meant...
    see what happens when your fingers move faster than your eyes???

• phoebe
    12 years ago

Sylvia, we didn't get much flooding, and in some places in town there is not much left. Houses are starting to be built, and the few public gardens around the area don't take any plants-there is not much money for hiring people to care for parks and gardens.

Your friend might have a better time of it giving her irises to others closer to where you are. Are there any nursing homes, or schools? Public schools might not take them, but the private ones might. Check any historical homes, or museums. If your friend has older irises then they would probably like them if they have gardens already with lots of flowers.

Also if your friend is near any of those fire ants we certainly don't need those. Those are horrible ants, I don't usually mind bugs, or ants, but we don't need to spread anything that can be avoided.

When people start to build, then it will be a good time to add the gardens and the plants-but that will be a long time coming. Thanks for thinking of us though!!!

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

She can get tons of bearded irises for the taking here if they'll do well in Joplin.
    Bearded irises would do well in MO, but I imagine it would be a bit early there to work the soil for planting. They could be stored though just fine until they could be planted a bit later.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

I type slow so I didn't see phoebe's post above before I posted. Sorry.

Sue

• phoebe
    12 years ago

Sylvia Chemocurl is THE BULB LADY, she knows everything, maybe she has some ideas on how to find homes for your irises.

i wish I had better news for you. We still don't have many people rebuilding after the LAST year's tornadoes. Most of the homes being rebuilt are speculation homes where the builders have purchased two or more lots to rebuild one home. Even though about 1/3 of Joplin is gone, there will not be as many people rebuilding as we thought there would be.

I wish we had some nice parks, we do have a few golf courses, but any parks that remain have very short grass that is never watered, and some very old trees that really need to be taken down.

Some parts of Joplin were very nice, and there are some older areas in towns further away that have some older gardens, but the parks there are the same as the ones in Joplin.

We really could use some beautification around here, it's just that it's hard to get that across to the public officials. I think if you work with your local churches, historic homes, and schools you can find places for your irises. Irises aren't too picky, and they are beautiful, I hope you find good homes for them.