Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

Buds! Woo-Hoo!

sylviatexas1
15 years ago

got some buds on a yellow oldie!

Yay!

So hang on, Northerners; Spring is blowing your way.)

Comments (9)

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

Yup. My faithful no-id beige opened today.

• mshadow
    15 years ago

Wow! You are both so lucky! My irises still under 12 to 18 inches of snow, and another snow storm on the way tonight.

Shadow

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

update:

2 old-fashioned, name-unknown, yellow-with-a-green-cast-to-the-falls irises are OPEN!

Crimson King has a couple of fat buds.

1 white Dutch iris is OPEN, as is
    1 beautiful blue/purple (& a bunch of them have buds with color showing).

Ladies & Gentlemen, we have lived thru another winter;

SPRING IS IN THE BUILDING!

• shapiro
    15 years ago

Here in Ontario, irises won't bloom till mid-May. An oldie with a green cast to the falls sounds like Bayberry Candle...

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

shapiro, hadn't thought of it, but I bet you're right.

I get irises from various places, including the side of the road where someone has "cleaned up Mama's old iris bed" & thrown the extras out for the trash truck...
    so I don't know the names of most of mine.

Week-End Update:

a whole clump of blue/purple Dutch iris
    2 white ones
    maybe a half-dozen yellow oldies
    a couple of Crimson King

Somehow or other, I don't seem to have any iris albicans, the Southern white cemetary iris, myself, but it's blooming in everyone else's gardens.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

surprize!

I *do* have some iris albicans;
    must have gotten them last year, just can't remember where.

so far I have

yellow historic
    iris albicans
    Crimson King

& a whole bunch of Dutch iris, blue, purple, white, etc.

The flowering almond is budding out & even has a couple of flowers open, & the bridal wreath spirea, which has been holding its breath, is starting to pop!

• ladylovingdove
    15 years ago

Well, yesterday was my birthday and my favorite IB, and usually the first to bloom here, bloomed for me. Yahooo!!
    I love my irises and daylilies. We have had unusually warm weather here. I never used to get blooms until early April.
    But I'm not complaining. Last year we had more cold and I had some bloom that hadn't bloomed in several years. Well anyway, here is my baby.

Dot

Furioso by B Blyth

• berrytea4me
    15 years ago

Dot,
    That is GORGEOUS! Lucky you to have blooms this early.

Oh, my poor iris here are dessicated from such a try winter. Nothing growing yet except a few of the species daylilies poking their noses up.

I'm going to have to cut back the old leaves on all my iris this year even my most protected spot in the garden The iris in that area usually stay green all year but this year they are dried out to a crisp where the leaves folded down under snow early in the winter.

We could still see major freeze & snow until May 15 but for now its been pretty warm, even one day up to the 70s.

• iris_gal
    15 years ago

What a great picture of 'Furiosa'. That should go in the gallery!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County