Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abrooxi

force post-season blooming

abrooxi
12 years ago

I am not a gardener, so please excuse my ignorance if this is a well known fact... I live in zone 7, specifically Tennessee, and I am having my wedding this June. I love Irises and would like to have solely irises in my bouquet. What I really love, is bearded irises, however, and they will be past their natural blooming season by June and unavailable to purchase. so...My question is this: Is there a way to delay the natural blooming cycle (refrigeration, for example) and then force late blooming in a controlled setting? (If I set up sun lamps/gro lights in my kitchen, and plant them in pots, will they override nature?) If so, does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to accomlish this?

Comments (8)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

I would suggest you contacting an Iris Society in TN, and finding the names of numerous iris growers in your area. Because there are early, mid-season and late varieties, as well as rebloomers, a local iris grower might be able to tell you if there was a possibility that they could supply you with some blooms.

You might want to keep in mind though that some iris cultivars will 'bleed' and drip their color, which could cause a bad mess on your special day.

I can think of no way to do as you suggested, with any likelihood of having any blooms.

You might also try talking to different local florists to see if they might be able to get them for you... mailed in from farther north.

Best wishes to you and your hubby to be.

Sue

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

you have enough to do .. getting a wedding together ....

w/o trying to grow a bouquet ...IMHO ...

been there.. done that.. succeeded enough to add some late Oct roses to 'add' to the florists pile ...

but supremely happy.. i did not rely on my own production ...

since you are not a gardener.. and you dont have access to greenhouses.. etc.. i dont know how you will learn & perfect everything you will need.. to accomplish this in the next few months ...

these days.. with flowers being delivered by airplane from around the world .. i would presume you can have whatever your heart desires... given proper planning .... and a budget ...

good luck with the wedding and the future

ken

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Best wishes! I agree with the others- if you can arrange something with a local grower and have the flowers delivered that would be fine, but it would be too hit-or-miss to try to manipulate bloom. One cold or hot day would blow the whole schedule.
    Sue also brought up a great point- you would not want purple smears across your dress. Daylilies and irises are notorious for staining. If you do find irises, be sure to arrange them in a way that they will not be crushed up against clothing.
    Renee

• ashes_of_the_fire
    12 years ago

order them from michigan, you'll be able to get them for sure! June is prime time for irises!

• abrooxi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I have already spoken to various florists- all have told me they can not be ordered and shipped without damage that time of year (It will be VERY HOT here, and they couldn't find anyone who could ship them in a way that they wouldn't be damaged by the time I received them). Additionally, I had already tried the west TN iris society with no luck. Thats why I was willing to TRY growing them (with a back up plan, of course). I am not worried about the bleeding, or the time and effort to try.

If anyone can just give me suggestions on HOW to do it, I would greatly appreciate it. (I "DIY" almost everything, and can actually build a small greenhouse, if that's what it takes (although I doubt it would come to that as I am sure I can find a friend with one). I just need a little advice on the process... THANKS!

• littlebit_gw
    12 years ago

I am in TN...President of the Jackson Area Iris Society...I am not sure if what you are wanting to do can be done...IF you try to cut them this spring (late late ones) before they open and store them in a cooler..I think the stalk would rot in the water before they opened...I cant think of to pot an iris and make it bloom at the right time..
    I do have a couple very very late irises that have been known to bloom mid June..but I cant promise that this year will be the same..
    Sadly I think if you really want bearded irises you will have to change your wedding day.

BTW..When in June???..and Congratulations!!!! My daughter is getting married June the 16th!

• abrooxi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. And best wishes to your daughter, my wedding is the same day.

• aggiegrad
    12 years ago

probably not what you want to hear, but have you considered silk flowers for your bouquet? do they have to be real? my wedding bouquet was all silk flowers on a white fan, & I got married in august. no one knew the difference & I got to keep my bouquet after the ceremony. real flowers never would have lasted that long. just a suggestion, but silk flowers are a whole lot easier than real. congrats on your wedding.

Sponsored