Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arylkin

Siberian Iris at Home Depot

arylkin
10 years ago

I was hoping to plant some Siberian iris in my garden this year, and was surprised to see that they had siberian iris rhizomes in bags at Home Depot yesterday!

The ground in my area is still covered by a ton of snow, but I saw them and wondered how soon I could plant them once the ground thaws. Is it likely they'll bloom this year? Would I be able to buy them in a couple weeks and plant the rhizomes in a pot indoors and then transfer them to the garden once things warm up, or would it be better to just wait until it was warmer outside.

Everything I can find on irises says they're meant to be planted in the fall, so should I not even bother with these? They seem to be a great deal- 7 for $10.

If I did buy them, would it be a good idea to purchase them now since they're new to the store and store them in a paper bag instead of the plastic they're packaged in? Is there a better way to store them?

Comments (7)

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Excellent price!! Keep your receipt!

Yes, normally they are offered in the fall. They also can be dug in the spring before growth begins but I understand that is more iffy.

Get them into soil asap, give a good watering to settle potting mix around roots, drain thoroughly and store in the garage until you can dig outside. They need to stay dormant for awhile --- do not bring indoors. Too warm --- you don't want to encourage early gowth. Outdoor plants die from indoor conditions.

Oh, bloom. Hard to say if they'll bloom this year or wait till next. Great find! Even if only 4 make it.

• arylkin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!

I was looking at some other bulbs there as well- Stargazer lilies, crocosmia... Do you think the watered pot in the garage would be good for those as well? I feel like it has to be a better storage medium than plastic bags.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Do yourself a favor. Forget about buying plants at Home Depot. Purchase good plants, at the right time from a reputable iris grower. If you love iris you should support the growers who also love iris.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Yes to 'Stargazer'. Lilies don't like to be dried out at all!

Crocosmia, hmm, same as montbretia? They are not as critical about moisture as lilies. I think they'd be fine in their bag for a month. When do your nights stay above freezing?

• littlebit_gw
    10 years ago

I wouldn't waste my money either.. You may or may not get the iris pictured on the bag. I would buy from a reputable seller

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Let's see. I've bought pkgs. of dahlias, daffodils, daylilies, Dutch iris, freesias, gladiolus, hyacinths, lilies and tulips from Home Depot.

Only the daylilies were not true to name. I steer clear of the bearded iris rhizomes because of what I've read.

For new gardeners Home Depot is a less expensive way to learn what you like and dislike.

My big eye-opener was how much water daylilies required. Glad I had a $6 lesson instead of four times that much.

• irisrover
    10 years ago

I found the same thing at Costco. The have packaged Louisiana Iris and Siberian irises for sale. I'm sure they will grow since they are packaged correctly, but the problem I had was the pictures on one of the Bags, you were to get 3 red La (Rhett and 3 white one, name escapes me now). The Rhett pic was correct but the white La. pic was a pic of a Siberian!!!!! 3 years ago on impluse I bought a bag of ranuculous, figuring if they turned out poor, I would dump them, but they turnout outstanding, full double dwarf strain, consistent 100 bulbs. So being so lulled away, I bought 4 bags of different calla lilies.....well. few turned out right: some where obivious culls and the bag that was suppose to be 3 whites & 3 blacks, turned out 3 yellows and 3 sort of bronzy ones. Wisely I kept my receipt and bags and was given a full refund. The clerk inquired, "didn't they grow" Of course they grew, how else would I know they were not what they were suppose to be! He quickly processed a refund.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?