Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Can you ID this two-toned dark violet bearded iris?

gottagarden
13 years ago

Hope you don't mind, you are helping immensely.

This one is violet purple and has great color echoes with lupine and alliums.

I know the photo could be better, I should keep digging.

Thanks in advance.

From Iris 2008

Comments (9)

• aggiegrad
    13 years ago

sorry, I can't give you a name for this iris. but I just wanted to say that that's a gorgeous picture. the way all three flowers are the same shade of purple is amazing! good job in combining them together.

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks aggiegrad. I'm going through photos, maybe I'll post a bunch of pretties. I try to partner iris with other May bloomers.

Here's a closeup of that iris.

From Plant Trades

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Could it be Local Color?

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Now that I see the close-up I am tempted not to post any guesses. But it will at least let you rule out some (and maybe tempt somebody) so here goes:

The biggest problem with this color is cameras. Hopeless inaccuracy with some. So take these names with a big grain of salt as I've never grown any in this color range. And there are probably many more.
    Rims (to me) means a consistant width of a contrasting color. Might be same as standards. Picotee can be uneven and thinner than rims. Wire the thinnest of all. (but yours just lightens toward the edges)

VIOLET ORCH / DEEP VIOLET
    Accessible, irreg picotee ghio'08 - Double Agent, wire rim - Haunting Mystery, powell'83 - Made of Magic, B.ends purplish, schrein'04 - Night Attack, ghio HM95 only one pic - Noble Contessa, picotee edge - Romantic Evening, no rim - Royal Family, vy ruff - Scarlet Embers, med rim - Sooner Serenade, med rim - Swordsman, vy ruff blyth'04 - Visiting Royalty, edge lightens ghio'00

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

The flower form looks older than Local Color or any 90's red bearded blacks...It's not as dark as Night Game or Romantic Evening...
    nor as well formed as Visiting Royalty (which is also more to the blue side) The color is more like Cherry Glen, but more of a bitone.
    I would place this as something from the late '80s..

• chadinlg Zone 9b Los Gatos CA
    13 years ago

Witches Sabbath is another possibility...
    If it reblooms It looks like Violet Turner...

• gottagarden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all of your help, your expertise is quite evident.

Google searched them all and looks very like Haunting mystery. I have Cherry Glen, and it is darker and more bitone than that.

Most of the others just didn't look right when I searched.

I will look again later when my eyes are fresh.

THanks again!

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

The last quarter inch or so of Violet Turner's beard is lavender. And the standards seem much lighter. Hosenemesis grows this one.

Ravenlove has some pics of WITCH'S WAND at D_v__ Garden that look more violet than blue and the standards have a bit of a 'bell' look. The amount of contrast seems right. Margie's pics look overexposed. But I think she's in AZ (and I think our sun is strong?!).

• randy_ca
    13 years ago

You could also check out 'Tom Johnson'

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH