Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How big are the flowers?

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 7, 10 at 20:08

I'm looking at Spurias and Louisiana irises, which I believe I may be able to grow here in Southern California.
How big is the average Spuria flower? Are they like fortnight lily (moorea, dietes)?

How about Louisianas? I imagine the size is variable, but-the size of a quarter? A person's hand?

Has anyone had success with these irises in Southern California? I have a pond...

Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How big are the flowers?

I would say a spuria flower overall 4" x 4" ???. Standards about 2-3" tall -- some vertical & some at 45 degrees. Falls curving over - 3" long? I'll have to measure this spring.

Louisiana blooms are larger than Dietes. 3.5" to 4". Heather Pryor's gorgeous intros look larger.

I grew Louisianas 5 miles from the ocean, 20 miles south of Los Angeles. Sunset zone 24. I don't remember seeing spurias there.

o

Hi Renee, Spuria Irises do very well in Southern California. While the blooms average is 4" - 5," the plants themselves grow between 4' - 5.' Some varieties grow better than others. They grow taller in the West normally.
Louisianas grow very well in this area too, but in average need more water than Spurias. Some members of our club grow Louisiana's in small ponds, but I personally grow them directly in the grown closer to a sprinkler head. The Lousiana blooms are about 5" in average with a great variety of colors and patterns.
You can see them in person in the garden during the annual San Fernando Valley Iris Society Trek this April 24th.

Andi

Here is a link that might be useful: Iris Lover

o

I'll be there, Andi!
Thanks for the tip and the info.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here