Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow a red and white amoena?

Posted by hosenemesis SoCal Sunset 19 USDA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 11 at 23:02

Does anyone grow a red and white amoena you could recommend? I would like something that performs well, not necessarily a fancy lacy thing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow a red and white amoena?

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 22, 11 at 16:36

Wow I totally blanked on this... and not just because there are no red iris :(

Closest things off hand are red violets like Brazilian Holiday or Full Figured.

Many of the Whispering Spirits, Ring around the Rosie patterned descendants are basically white with yellow tones over reddish brown.

The red-most falls seem to come with pink or yellow standards... got lots of those :)

Chad

o

Chad, that's what I'm finding. I have seen overall garden shots with what appear to be red and white amoenas, and they really stand out to my eyes. Perhaps those are actually pale, pale yellow standards. I like Osaka, and someone recommended Repartee. Brazilian Holiday is a beauty but it's a bit dark for what I'm looking for.
I love all of the Ring Around Rosie sorts of irises- Bruneau Jasper, Looky Loo, Carnival Ride, Phoebe's Frolic... I love them all!

I used to grow Ecstatic Echo, which has pale, pale lavendar standards over rusty red with a white band. Very pretty, but it did not like the heat here. I'm looking for something more vigorous.

o

• Posted by chadinlg zone 9%3B Sunset 15 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 12:09

Ah yes.. Osaka, I used to grow that and It was in my memory but I forgot the name... The flowers are always very small for a TB (IB sized) and it grows just enough to stay alive... but its very cute...

Have you seen Cupids Arrow ? Pink over Orchid with white centers...

Here is a link that might be useful: link to picture

o

Is Latin Hideaway in that ball park?

o

Yes, cjcanet, that's a real beauty. I like the cool color of the standards.
Renee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here