Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Place to Order Iris & Tuberose Bulbs

Posted by harmonyp NorCA 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 0:32

This is only my 2nd year of gardening, and I've never planted bulbs before. I want to add Bearded Irises and Tuberose to my new rose collection. Would appreciate any advice on the best places to order bulbs, and which Bearded Irises would do best in a hot dry climate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Place to Order Iris & Tuberose Bulbs

I can't help you with the tuberose bulbs, but I understand that they require quite a bit of fertilizer.

The tall bearded irises are another issue. Just about any tall bearded iris will do well in your climate. The "bulbs" are called rhizomes, and you can order them from online sellers. They usually ship them in August, which is a good time to plant them. Some varieties may already be sold out, since people start ordering in January.

I order from a large number of sellers, including Schreiner's, Blue J, Cooley's, Napa Country Iris, Iris4U, Mid America Gardens, Sutton's, Stanton, Horton, Wild Iris Rows... there are a lot of good iris growers, and they have wonderful websites to browse.

Some irises are very fancy and may not get as many flowers as older cultivars. Irises with lots of ruffles and lace can have difficulty opening.

In our climate, reblooming irises are a good choice, because they have two or more bloom periods. Grandma's Purple Flag and Total Recall are two that seem to be everblooming.

Tall bearded iris rhizomes are planted with the top of the rhizome exposed to the air, so follow the directions on how to plant them carefully so they do not rot. They will not survive constantly moist soil.

Have a good time looking through those websites. Post here if you have a question about a particular cultivar and we will do our best to answer your question.

Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: Horton Iris Website with photos

o
RE: Best Place to Order Iris & Tuberose Bulbs

For iris, the best place to buy is lottsiris.com.
Happy gardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here