Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Measure?

Posted by oregonwoodsmoke 5 OR Sunset 1A (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 9, 13 at 2:20

I've got some nice NOIDs that I would love to submit to see if anyone can identify them.

I would like to know where to measure to in order to get the height, and what angles for the photos?

Nothing is up yet, so no photos yet.

I've got a black that is really black and stays black, so I am hoping that is unusual enough that someone can identify it. All my other blacks turn purple fairly soon after blooming, so I am hoping that the persistent black will be less common.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Measure?

Interesting you should ask- there is a whole series of posts up on the American Iris Society blog on iris height and bloom period. They measure from the top of the rhizome to the top of the flower.

The height question will be coming up soon- I'll post it here.
Renee

Here is a link that might be useful: TB bloom season

o
RE: How To Measure?

Set your camera at the highest resolution! TIFF is great -- when you resize for posting it will be a better image.

Do not shoot in the shade or on a dark day. Check color in the camera's viewing screen (brain dead on name of this) -- what you see is verry close to what you get. Morning sun is usually better. Late afternoon sun tends to emphasize certain pigments which makes for a gorgeous inaccurate photo. Stay clear of raindrops for ID purposes.

Take a side view about even with the bloom.

Also a side view with one fall facing you (zoom in just a bit to minimize parallax (sp. ?) (barrel distortion).

A shot downwards at a 45 degree angle that will show the haft area and beard.

What else ??? An entire stalk shot is valuable as branching can be a help. Height can vary from year to year. Oh, lots of shots at various times of day. You'll find what works best in your area.

Looking forward to seeing your iris!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here