Return to the Iris Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to store bearded iris

Posted by larryryo (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 19, 06 at 7:00

I received 2 packages of 2 bulbs each of German Iris, bearded iris. But the bulbs are very dry and looked not very quality. Because I located in sub tropical area, I don't think it is good to plant the bulbs immediately right now in this time. I would like to plant them in the fall around end of August. Can anybody tell me how I store
these bulbs not getting worse quality for almost 6 months later?? Shall I store in refrig.and how?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to store bearded iris

Where in the Subtropical regions do you live? My immediate response is to get them planted sooner than later. Maybe soak them overnight then plant them in a pot with a well draining potting soil. Rot will be your biggest problem in the south, thus stay away from fertilizers that are high in nitrogen. In the fall you can plant your iris in a sunny location, in well draining soil.

o
RE: how to store bearded iris

Dear gmason,

Thanks for your help.

I have followed your advice and pot them immediately.
Hope to have success of planting these TB bulbs

Cheers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Iris Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here